Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

Julian Taff

Removed Clutch Cover.. need more help please

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Ok, so I removed the clutch cover... to find there is no gasket in there :o ... But that isn't the real problem.

The Glass eye definitely has a slow leak, as i filled up the cover with the drained oil and left it on it's side. When i put my finger on the glass eye it was slightly wet so it definitely is leaking.. 

I have never looked at one of these covers on the inside, but to me the Glass eye looks like it's been glued in and a bodge job at that, please look at pics and see if this is what they look like from factory.. There is one on ebay Canada same model number 403 and the glass eye looks threaded in, as it has a hexagon shape to the front of it as where this is just flat.

If there are threads inside where the glass eye goes, i don't see how i am going to be able to get the glue off without it staying in the threads so i can put a threaded one in. The glue is solid.

While i got the cover off, would it be worth me getting some new clutch plates? The gears were not great and sometimes seem to jump from 3rd to 5th and also neutral  isn't always easy to find, would this be a plate problem? I'd rather just get it all done in one go if that could be a possibility of the problem. Also I'm guessing the allen bolts need to be torqued when you put the disc like cover back over the clutch plates?

I'm so depressed right now.. Bought the bike to ride, and now I have this leak and can't find a clutch cover anywhere..

If anyone should have one, can I buy it please?

Here are some pics.. The inside pic of the cover you can see the glue..  I'm sure it wouldn't have been like this from factory? 

The 1st picture is the cover I need

2nd pic the glue inside - would it be like this from Factory?

3rd the inside of the gear box, if i remove the cover to get to the plates, do the allen bolts need to be torqued when they are put back in and what setting?

And 4th how the Glass eye looks from the outside close up.

 

Any help much appreciated.. Cheers Julian

Fantic Cover 1.jpg

Fantic Eye Glass 2 Inside.jpg

Fantic Gear Box Inner.jpg

Fantic Eye Glass 3.jpg

Edited by Julian Taff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

Posted (edited)

Bodged....it needs drilling out to remove.......if you do not know how to go about that without ruinining the casing then take it to a machine shop and get them to do it.    basically you drill it out so that the last bit of the plastic/epoxy glue near the casing can be picked off leaving the casing exactly as it was before the bodge job.

Edited by oni nou
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

My Advice to you is put it back together then sell it and buy a brand new 2017 bike 125cc any make you like the look of ....you will be able to get parts and you can just admire and ride the bike.....job done 

Old bike means problems... that are best solved by an experienced mechanic with a great deal of knowledge about the bike they own and its history.

 

Edited by oni nou
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, oni nou said:

Bodged....it needs drilling out to remove.......if you do not know how to go about that without ruinining the casing then take it to a machine shop and get them to do it.    basically you drill it out so that the last bit of the plastic/epoxy glue near the casing can be picked off leaving the casing exactly as it was before the bodge job.

Thanks for the advice.. Thought it was a bodge job.. I'm worried what else has not been done properly.. I would have to get someone to drill it out as i don't have the facility here.. The Allen bolts holding the case on are crap quality as well. Have bought some Hardened steel ones now. Do you think i should get some new clutch plates while I am at it?

Cheers Julian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Julian Taff said:

Thanks for the advice.. Thought it was a bodge job.. I'm worried what else has not been done properly.. I would have to get someone to drill it out as i don't have the facility here.. The Allen bolts holding the case on are crap quality as well. Have bought some Hardened steel ones now. Do you think i should get some new clutch plates while I am at it?

Cheers Julian

No because they may have been changed by the last owner during the renovation.....your gear problems do not sound clutch related ........if you are igoing to keep it to use then the engine needs taking out and giving to a Fantic specialist like Bill Pye at Frankfield Garage If he is still working on them......he could check it all over and get it working how it should ;then you can feel better about it.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, you are going to end up chasing an impossible dream, these old bikes need to be ridden and enjoyed, don't worry about minor items like a small oil leak or a slightly iffy clutch (have you said what you feel is wrong with it ?) I suggest you get out to a trial or local practise day and seek an experianced riders opinion as to how to improve if necessary your bike.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, oni nou said:

No because they may have been changed by the last owner during the renovation.....your gear problems do not sound clutch related ........if you are igoing to keep it to use then the engine needs taking out and giving to a Fantic specialist like Bill Pye at Frankfield Garage If he is still working on them......he could check it all over and get it working how it should ;then you can feel better about it.

I've spoken to bill, he is a lovely guy.. I think that is what I need to do to take it to someone who specialises in these things. It's just heartbreaking when you buy something from someone who tells you it's perfect when it clearly isn't.

I'm wondering if the threads are damaged with the sight level goes in as why wouldn't someone just put a threaded one in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, collyolly said:

No, you are going to end up chasing an impossible dream, these old bikes need to be ridden and enjoyed, don't worry about minor items like a small oil leak or a slightly iffy clutch (have you said what you feel is wrong with it ?) I suggest you get out to a trial or local practise day and seek an experianced riders opinion as to how to improve if necessary your bike.

 

I find it difficult to get it into Neutral sometimes and also when i was riding, sometime gears seem to jump, example 3rd to 5th.. Bearing in mind I am an inexperienced rider.. I haven't ridden a bike for 30 years .. Also when i had clutch in, i put it in 1st gear and bike leaped forward while clutch was in.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry about your problem but The site glass is the least of your problems.

It could be a clutch problem causing it to be difficult to get into neutral but your description of jumping from 3rd gear to 5th gear is usually worn gear engagement dogs (on the transmission gears) and/or bent or worn shifting forks which is a major repair investment in parts and labor especially if you have a professional do it. It doesn't sound like its a job you should venture into on your own as it is major disassembly of the motor and replacement of parts that would be very expensive. 

It boils down to how much do you like this bike and how deep is your wallet.

 

 

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I know a guy in Prescott that works on bikes for free.  Good mechanic, weird guy, funny accent.    

Edited by billyt
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beta_blocker said:

Sorry about your problem but The site glass is the least of your problems.

It could be a clutch problem causing it to be difficult to get into neutral but your description of jumping from 3rd gear to 5th gear is usually worn gear engagement dogs (on the transmission gears) and/or bent or worn shifting forks which is a major repair investment in parts and labor especially if you have a professional do it. It doesn't sound like its a job you should venture into on your own as it is major disassembly of the motor and replacement of parts that would be very expensive. 

It boils down to how much do you like this bike and how deep is your wallet.

 

 

 

Thank you for your detailed reply.. i do love the bike although i feel a little sad as it was sold to me as perfect and have also been told since that I probably paid a little too much... anyway.. I want to sort it out but another 500 pounds would be my  max to make it right really.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, billyt said:

I know a guy in Prescott that works on bikes for free.  Good mechanic, weird guy, funny accent.    

Well at least you have cheered me up a bit with the last sentence lol... i wouldnt expect anything done for free.. I just want to get it sorted so I can use it again .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be something simple like the detent for the shift drum, missing, loose or broken spring. I would not even worry about the case. A sight glass is not needed.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, lineaway said:

Could be something simple like the detent for the shift drum, missing, loose or broken spring. I would not even worry about the case. A sight glass is not needed.

Yes i will have to get any case now which doesn't leak. I'm hoping i can get it sorted as I just want to ride while we still have a summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seal the inside with epoxy and Jb weld the outside, sand and paint. Twenty bucks and two hours work.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now