Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
riffraffretro

315R Carburettor - What's Going On... ?

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Any advice would be much appreciated...

I can't get things settled down with the fuelling on my 315R: starts easily from cold with choke, but shortly after the choke is closed things go pear shaped!

Throttle response gets sloppy pretty quickly - almost as if there's a disconnect between what the twist grip is doing and how the engine revs-up, with a noticeable delay and general feeling of sloppiness and lumpiness, until the point comes when the engine stalls.

The only method of keeping the engine running (and to momentarily achieve a normal throttle connection), is to open the choke, but the instant it's closed again, things go back to where they were.

Points to a carburettor/air issue to me, but I'm unsure. Carb air adjust screw is set to 1 turn out as per manual, fresh pre-mix has been added and the airbox/filter cleaned/replaced.

Anyone able to help? It's a '98 model year bike.

Edited by riffraffretro
Add additional information

Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

That sounds as if the pilot jet is clogged. Pull the carb off and pull all the jets out and clean them all and all the fuel and air passages in the carby. Air is a good way to clean them all. Don`t use anything metal to clean the jets as this will change the hole in the jet. Graham.

I agree that pilot jets are probably blocked, had a '99 bike some years ago exactly the same. Taking it that bike has original carb it has two pilot jets one behind the other in a recess, bit of dirt or water used to get between them. Needs a really good small screwdriver to remove them to clean properly.

Make sure all jets are clear and clean, the banjo is spotless and the float height is 18 .5 then a new plug. If it still does it its some thing else other than carb. Youve got it fully turned on the tap as these are always awkward.

1 person likes this

Thanks guys... looks like I'll be removing and stripping the carb this weekend.

Help and pointers really appreciated.

1 person likes this

When you remove the long inner pilot jet do yourself a favor...whiz it at bin. You don't need it and all it does is clog up. Be very careful removing it. Do not bugger the threads. Use a narrow screwdriver that will fit into the hole.

1 person likes this