Ty250 Mono Disk Brake

g4321

Has anyone eny experience of the aftermarket disc brake kit sold for the TY monos - the one which uses the original drum braked forks?

It appears to be a Grimerca or Brembo Calliper & Grimerca master cylinder.

Is the brake any better than the original drum and is the set-up any lighter?

Gordon

There were 3 alternatives as I recall. Shirty did one, Talon did one and a Midlands company called Gateway (I think) did one. None were very impressive. You're better off finding a genuine Pinky Yam one as they work... Ellastone off-road may have some as they are often breaking Yams.

Don't know about any weight difference but why worry? I think people get overly concerned about the weight issue. Even if it is a few pounds difference it isn't really going to be noticeable riding sections, it's mainly in our minds.

Guys thanks for the comments - I am not intending to fit the brake to a TY but to a twinshock Honda which is not renouned for having (good) front brakes, especially in the wet.

Supposedly it can easily be adapted to fit - Big Johns comment to me in the past.

I know that TY pinky discs work well but TY pinky forks are too short for a TLR (I have measured)If someone came up with a low cost 35mm diameter front end complete then I would be keen but I may have the chance of an aftermarket TY disc brake to try - this was reason for post. There is one other advantage, it saves me the hastle of eventually rebuilding the front wheel onto a new rim since TLR rims are renouned for rot, the aftermarket Yam rim is bound to be better nick & the colour matches my back wheel ie Silver!

The conclusion is that the brake is not very good reading the previous messages, one writer says they are worse than drum brakes, the other two dont give an opinion one way or the other.

As for weight, weight is an issue, especially when it is unsprung weight - ie the weight of fork logs, brakes or wheel. Ask the question why are lightweight wheel fitted to race bikes?

ANY weight saving on my bike would be an advantage, whether I would notice it in a section is unlikely but losing 2 or 3lbs from the front end of any bike is bound to help.

Yours - in two minds over trying a disc :D:beer::D:D:D

Gordon

gordon:

I fitted a 2000 GasGas brake and wheel to my TY350. Piece of cake, easily done and minimal changes to the TY. I posted some pics here in the past, and the complete info is being put onto bruce andersons website with other TY info. may not be up yet.

tough to find modern parts, but the technology is so much better, smaller, lighter, and easy to get parts.

(wallace by chance?)

kcj

• 2 weeks later...