An Example Of The Problem With Trials In The Us

wayne thais

I think the point here is! if you could have a bike with a seat and better fuel capacity, that performed on a parr with todays bikes, how many would take that option.

I think that's exactly the question, and I agree that if the bikes became generally more like a real bike it would increase trials popularity.

What i don't know is, as an existing fairly experienced rider, would I buy one?

That would depend on whether they made it look the dogs b0ll0cks.

Look at some of the older Honda's - they look a class act, even compared to things like the Fantic.

People will buy a Fantic through nostalgia. The same is true of the honda, but the style lines on some of the Honda's make you want it too. not true of the Fantic, despite my affection for them.

Marketing will be a big part of it too. Don't deliberately aim the thing at old blokes, because people like me nearing the mid life crisis will run a mile :P . Call it the Sherco SSDT, or something like that, and again - make it look damned good. Do the drawing - if it makes you love the shape, go for it. If it makes you think, I could put up with it, forget it.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fact, why not make the whole thing bigger. Look what Volkswagon did to their Golf - Do that to a Sherco and I'll buy one.

Make it look the same but make it BIGGER.

If my knee will bend allowing my lower thigh over the seat, while my foot is on the pegs then that will do for me. It means I can dab about 2 foot below the bike if I need to.

More fuel capacity, more space for a decent air box, can sit down when I need to....Stuff dreams are made of.

You can harp on about extra weight all you like, but most people won't notice the extra 5Kg.

Edited by bikespace

You can harp on about extra weight all you like, but most people won't notice the extra 5Kg.

I can picture you saying that line whilst eating yer pie and chips :P

I think you will notice an extra 5kgs on the weight of the bike especially over the long haul. Thats approx 7% weight gain. :D

If we take your weight Gaz ( 17st ) and add 7% then thats another 1st 3lbs - I think you would notice that dont you think. ;)

I can picture you saying that line whilst eating yer pie and chips :P

I think you will notice an extra 5kgs on the weight of the bike especially over the long haul. Thats approx 7% weight gain. :)

If we take your weight Gaz ( 17st ) and add 7% then thats another 1st 3lbs - I think you would notice that dont you think. :D

Thanks for the 17 stone - 5 years ago when I was full tilt at rugby I was 17 stone.

At the moment I'm 18st 13lb, playing an hour of squash almost every day, and no I really don't notice that much difference ;)

That's like putting a small backpack on for me. My camelbak probably weighs that.

5Kg was probably over the top a little, but I'd take the size increase if it meant a more suitable bike for my kind of riding.

At the moment I'm 18st 13lb, playing an hour of squash almost every day, and no I really don't notice that much difference :D

Crikey :P I thought I was being cheeky with the 17st ;)

But... You lose 1st 3lbs off your current weight and I bet you would notice. :P

Im 12st 6 lbs (excess from xmas) and will get back to my target weight of 12st by the end of next week :) . I certainly notice the extra weight gain :D

Speaking from an engineering standpoint; if the fuel was in the seat area, a pump would be required to get the fuel to the carburator. A pump requires either a mechanical drive from the motor or electricity adding complexity and cost.

For the record, Bill Scott of Windsor, Ont. did exactly what you're asking for to a 1969 Sherpa 30 years ago :P

Atom, sorry about hacking your name!

Consider a fuel injected motor needs a pump no matter where the tank is located. It may not be needded however depending on how the design of the fuel tank is layed out. I doubt that the machine would be much heaver or look much differnt. The lines would simply be a ltttle flatter on top, with slightly less sway back.

Overall there would be very little weight gain but with the mass lower and more centralized handling would be better. What really excites me would be the cold air induction which improves engine performance.

How a next generation trials bike would be designed would be simple! Lay it out on the cadcam and go to town.

Edited by Mich Lin