Water Pump Corrosion

trialsmm

Not just a problem after many years, we ran a 2006 Rev3 125 and it needed a new water pump casing under 1 year old! It had corroded to the point it was leaking coolant when standing in the 'batcave'.

At first I thought it was residual water after washing the bike, then I tasted it and it was sweet tasting anti-freeze!!!

Big John

Sounds like they didn't do much R&D on materials! Mag castings at least need to be put through a Chromate conversion process and then painted, or even better Hard Anodised to give the material half a chance of surviving.

Do they fail around bolt hole more so than anywhere else? Galvanic corrosion can attack Magnesium quick too.

Wayne....

Edited by wayne_weedon

Yes many bikes do use Magnesium, so the risks should be understood by the manufacturers :thumbup:

Magnesium can be corrosion proofed in various ways. But it's nature means it will corrode badly if it's not dealt with.

I machine a lot of it and in one example of 3d machining a billet small engine crankcase a few years ago, we even noticed the change in colour of the material machined at the beginning compared to the material cut towards the end of the 12 hour machining cycle. That was cut dry in a workshop with low humidity too.

Add water and dissimilar metals in contact and the case worsens dramatically.

Wayne...

Gday all, Coolant changes annually can help reduce the chance of this - water and anti-freeze in roughly 50/50 mix works for me. The anti-freeze also has corrosion inhibitor which is the important part. Do your car/van/truck while you're at it - it is the most common cause for engine failures in any vehicle - if that coolant is the colour of rust you're in trouble!

HTH,

Cheers,

Stork

A big factor in the corrosion is the ionic contaminants in the water you throw into the cooling system. Don't use tap water. Either use de-ionized water or one of the premixed varieties like engine ice or Maxima Pro-cool. They're cheap enough compared to an engine case. I have yet to see a corrosion issue on a Beta and I've had all of mine for at least two years and some up to five years. Don't use spring water either, it isn't the same as the de-ionized. My guess is that the guys with the big corrosion issues all used tap water that is rather nasty. Basically forming a battery by providing an electrolyte (contaminated water) with the magnesium as the sacrificial terminal and aluminum/steel for the other. It would be interesting to do a scan on the other components the coolant touches to see where that magnesium deposits.

OK so I geeked out. Sorry.

Gday all, careful here that we dont confuse Corrosion with Cavitation. Cavitation around water pump impellers is almost impossible to do anything about and fairly common on many things. You can tell the difference as the holes remaining look "formed" and clean, corrosion in alloys always leaves that chalky residue. So far my 10 year old Techno shows no signs of either.

Cheers,

Stork

wel bu***** me i stand corrected. the photos of cavitation erosion i googled certainly look like the innards of a beta water pump. however how does that explain the 'corrosion outside of the rubber seal that also looks just the same and where no water pressure woould be present.. i refer again to the photos i placed in the thread in 2006 i think..

That sounds like standard corrosion. I havent had a look for the piccys to be sure. Also, cavitation isnt preventable as far as I know, it happens when low pressures around the impeller effectively boil the coolant and bubbles eat the case. Its really a design thing. Someone might clarify that a bit better than me.

Cheers,

Stork.

Edited by Stork955