Online Trials Management....

malcra

all,

in a attempt to brush up on my web development skills I starting mocking up a "trials management" tool that would allow clubs to publish regs for trials; for riders to then sign-up up and for results to be recorded and sent out.

The aim would be for a tool that would be mutliorganisational and allow for multiple clubs to setup trials, define the registration process, the type of trial etc and for then riders to enter events...online.

Not too fussed about the payment side of things (at the moment), but was wondering if someone has already done this; is it an extension for TrialsCentral and even if it is something that would be useful

I've got as far as the user registration and working on profiles (club's, license numbers, bike information, centre etc) and just starting to look at trial setup and definition, but interested in peoples thoughts on how best this may be done.

I'm working on something similar at the moment. I've got plans for entering trials online for sometime in the future, but it's been shelved for now. The problem being that such a system would need a lot of trust on the part of the clubs (as I would inevitably be handling their money somewhere along the line) and I feel it's better to start by just offering regs and entry forms (and results) online in a variety of easy to access formats and continue with the postal system of entry until the site has (hopefully) become more well known. If all goes well then I hope to implement online entries (along with a whole host of other space age ideas) sometime in the future, although it's a lot of tricky work that I'm not sure I fancy taking on right now.

You can have a look at my progress so far over at http://www.cornwalltrials.co.uk, although what you see isn't really indicative of what I've done. Most of the work so far has been on the back end code. The feedback I've had so far from clubs that I've shown it to has been pretty positive, all of which means I now have to pull my finger out and get it finished!

Feel free to drop me an email if you want to talk about anything to do with this in more detail.

OK - great idea

for background I'm from the Sidcup club, one of biggest clubs in the South Eastern Centre ACU (aka the Sidcup Mafia), we run MX, Enduros and Trials, I'm also heavily connected (for my sins) with many levels of the ACU

firstly the ACU office have some sort of event administration software already, but i know very little about it

secondly we've had something that does some of the function for other 15 years (the original was written in Q basic!!!)

thirdly there is a system in operation already that does all you want to do (if i understand you correctly), the future west supercross has an online entry system (with online payments) done by the guy behind motox.TV (Google it and try the online application process). I've had very long conversations on this and while technically it is undoubtedly possible there are a few "hurdles" in the way ....

a) whatever you do you encounter the problem of what about the online people

:lol: the payment method is actually key, because 95% of clubs aren't VAT registered and very small scale, so for them cheque and cash are good, and they keep all the money. there is little to no benefit (actually costs) in receiving online / electronic payments. the VAT factor is just an extra complication

c) usability is key! - there is a marginal propensity for off road motorcyclists to be less computer literate, whatever happens its got to be bomb proof

d) its got to pass the legal/insurance hurdles at the ACU (ie is it a legal contract, etc)

e) can it work standalone, ie some poor person (the event secretary) has got to get a standalone version and take that to the event (this is applicable to all motorcycle sport!) ie they need a laptop, the system has to have an end date so it can be taken as a standalone

by all means ask as many questions of me as possible there is a lot to this but the end result really could work!