300 Fantic Experts!

steve fracy

My advice would be to put the flywheel off a fantic 301 or even better a fantic section flywheel is better balanced, you do have to change the flywheel casing but in my opinion it is well worth it, from the fantic 303 onwards there are detachable weights on the flywheel so you can have several choices.

i hope this helps! ScrumpyJack

ps: i have lots of fantic spares so give me a shout if you get stuck for anything

I you want the 301 or 303 flywheels, you have to change the ignition backplate as wheel as they are ducati ignitions. (The std 300 had a motoplat ignition). The covers, as said before , also needs changing.The 300 Michaud Rep also had the ducati idnition, but try to find one. Also only the std 303 has the weights to adjust. the std. 301 flywheel did not have the weights but will run with a 303 flywheel which did....get what I mean?

If you sell the 300 ignition, flywheel and pork chop cover on say ebay, you will probably get nearly enough for a 301 ignition and cover complete. I have done it twice before. The 300 motoplat ignitions are rarer than weapons of mass destruction in Iraq ;-)

If it runs ok though, I would leave it. The 300 has slightly sharper porting than the 301 and 303, so a lighter flywheel makes it only suitable for dry trials in Bahrain!

I like the 303 engine in my 300 which as much flywheel weight as possible, but as I said, its not as peaky as a 300 anyway.

Steve, if you are trying to ride the 300 like a gas gas, tape your left hand behind your back, or at least leave the clutch alone. It will go anywhere without using the clutch. Prehaps Greevsey will let us know his well respected opinion...Peter, over to you!

HTH

Lee

Thanks Lee! I did have the clutch mod on my 240 and will do it to the 300 too! This bike is mint, found out yesterday riding it that the odometer still works and it has 60 original miles on it!!!! :thumbup: No scratches on the skidplate either, not even broken in! Thing of beauty. Are the stock 300 rear fenders as rare as I have been told?? might change it to save it!

Steve

1st the 301 thru 309 ignition will not fit, unless your willing to cut bottom fin. Ah you forgot about that didn't you Lee. A 240 ignition system would fit, the flywheel is several pounds lighter, if say your ignition were a Motoplat, then a 240 motoplat flywheel would fit straight on. If your 300 is as nice as you say, seems a pity to use it. There must be some pains of conscious, as your worried about destroying the rear mudguard.......Quote: What good is a chocolate teapot.....about as much use as an araldited exhaust port.

Oops, peter is right. The bottom cylinder fin is cut out on a 301 onwards...so you need to cut it away or use a 301 barrel. thanks pete. And of course we put grub screws in our exhaust ports and not chocolate :-)

Lee

Edited by Lee Harris

Lee:

As soon as I can get a pic of her with digi camera I will post. Confirmation last night while riding it that the odometer does in fact work!!!! 60 original miles on it and now counting!!! Ordering up a 240 rear fender too!

PS. What about jetting? I am sure it is totally stock. Recomend any changes??

Edited by Steve Fracy

Yes steve, rears are unobtainium. i know a guy who has a couple but hes not giving them out off his hands!!! Chgange it!

Not any more.....just had these manufactured from vacuum formed plastic, send me a p.m. if you are interested.

Martin

post-509-1160657880.jpg

Outlaw dave has been a great sponsor and friend since 1989. His widsom and tireless spirit for the sport in this country will never be equalled.I admire and appreciate how long he has spent introducing new people to trials, and sharing his and my passion.By using this website, we all know someone in each of our countrie's who makes a huge difference in spreading the word and sustaining the sport in his own way. In Canada, there has never been such a person like Outlaw Dave. Not only do I appreciate him, but am proud at any time for myself and my son to represent him!

Cheers, Steve

Edited by Steve Fracy