Fuel Tap Bultaco Montesa

old trials fanatic

Wonder if any of you have any helpful suggestions? The rebuild on the old 349 Cota is progressing slowly, too slowly to br honest as i would never have guessed parts would be so hard to come by when i started. Still we live and learn. Time came on Sunday to see if the rebuilt engine would start. You know the routine. Fit tank, fit all new pipes, fill with fuel, get ready to kick the thing into life (hopefully),turn petrol on, press choke. Notice strong smell of fuel, get wet foot, panic!!!!! Take off tank, drain tank, curse profusely all because the b****y petrol taps k*******d and p*****g fuel every where. So does anybody have or know the whareabouts of a new fuel tap to fit a 349 Cota late model. Two bolts holding it to the polyprop tank ? Checked the 340 bultaco and the tap on that looks identical. Tried Bultaco UK, no stock waiting for a delivery from Spain. Tried Mainly Spanish, no stock waiting for a delivery from Spain. Tried Millers, no stock yeah youve guessed it. Oh yes tried Sandifords, Sorry Honda have deleted cant help. So any ideas? apart from making a plate up and tapping it 1/4 BSP and screwing a british pattern tap into it. I would like to keep origional if possible.

Update on the fuel tap situation. Contacted Steve Goode, nice bloke very helpful, who supplied a fuel tap. Said it was for a Gas Gas but bolt holes were 35mm centres and should fit. Well it does, sort of. If any body else needs one all you have to do is make an alloy adaptor plate up as the tap supplied is too narrow to seal properly to the Cota tank as the hole in the tank is about 13mm and the tap flange is only 19mm wide at the widest point so the o ring seal doesnt. If you know what i mean. Just add two slightly longer 6mm s/s allen bolts and et voila a working fuel tap for under a tenner and the old war horse is up and running again and you can hardly tell its non standard. Look the bike is for riding not a concours competition. I am sure the same mod will work for the Bultaco when it needs one so give Steve a ring if you need a new fuel tap. Thanks for the suggestion Woody nice one. :)