Fantic Twinshock Capable Of Expert Sections

scrumpyjack

Hi all, this is my fantic that i built specificly to compete at a harder level than just the clubman route, although i did ride it in a few twinshock / pre65 trials this year, you will do well to spot all the mods, and it is 100% fantic, i now ride a TYZ as my main bike so this one is redundant :-( I would be interested in any oppinions

Alan :chairfall:

http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=24102006171yg2.jpg

http://img133.imageshack.us/my.php?image=24102006172mr1.jpg

http://img83.imageshack.us/my.php?image=24102006173mi4.jpg

http://img133.imageshack.us/my.php?image=24102006174qc0.jpg

24102006175fa4.jpg

Alan, When the ACU established the twinshock class they stipulated that the bike must have been 'manufactured as a twinshock'. The other important wording, that I seem to remember is 'in the spirit of the class'. Please don't misunderstand me, you've done a really nice job, the bike looks really good, but why! We know there are TY Mono's which have had similar conversions again I ask why! I realise the most important part of the enjoyment in owning an older bike is the fettling, thats the old fashioned word for anything from fine tuning to major modifications, but surley there's enough scope within the very loose rules to build a trick bike and not to cause some controversity. Yes, you'll be able to take this bike to any club trial, and yes you'll be able to enjoy a good days trialing, and yes, if in the unlikely event, there so happens to be another aircooled monoshock converted to twinshock at the same meeting you'll be able to have your own competition. The rules are easy to understand, a twinshock is a manufactured twinshock, built in the spirit of the class, modern disc brakes are , in my opinion, not within the spirit of the class, they are blatantly in view. I don't have a problem with remanufactured parts, these bikes are 20 odd years old, do you expect there to be unlimited supplies of 20 year old fork springs or stauchtions or rear shock absorbers or sundry parts. This is my own personal view.

Edited by ask greeves

I think that you have not fully understood the reasons for me building this bike, if you ride at intermediate level and you do well in a section, you are just another rider, but with this you stand out....for however good the bike is it is always heavier and has worse rear suspension than any modern bike, so you have to be a better rider.....this isnt about twinshock classes and twinshock trials but more about all normal club trials at intermidiate level sections....so please dont get defensive about disk brakes and hydraulic clutches competing against pre65 and standard twinshocks... this is the next level,,,,yes taking twinshocks to compete against the latest bikes!!... and i can tell you first hand that there is no feeling like beating modern bikes on a bike of this caliber.....it really makes peoples blood boil, with statements like "oh no not you on that thing again" this bike was built for a reason, and it is the third one i have built all totally differant but with one objective in mind, TO WIN

:chairfall: Scrumpy

Is it possible to buy a 24" computer screen, because thats what we

need to read this thread. Nice bike by the way. :chairfall: See how I

kept my reply over to one side so as not to struggle reading.

Being the thoughtful bloke I am

Edited by bo drinker

and i can tell you first hand that there is no feeling like beating modern bikes on a bike of this caliber.....it really makes peoples blood boil, with statements like "oh no not you on that thing again"

Only think that can beat that feeling is if you did it on a stock 300 Fantic.....!!!

Martin

Martin:

You are right. I plan on entering one of our club trials on my new 300 in the class just below expert. I rode round last weekend after my son had finished and had a go at the sections to see if it was going to be possible. Only rode the first 5 out of 10 sections, but cleaned them all. I was very motivated after that. I usually ride expert, and mostly I think everyone will laugh at me. It really is just to prove two things. The old bikes were pretty good and you could do alot of stuff with them. Secondly, you don't always have to have the latest greatest lightweight trick machine to have fun, and ride some fairly difficult stuff!

Steve

I live in the north east and ride clubmanA

this is a mixture of the easier expert sections and the harder

clubman sections, riding a twinshock at this level helps

your riding because you have to put more effort in and work the

bike... like i said there is nothing like beating people who are

riding the latest and greatest bike!

here is a pic of last years bike...

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/9923/p4210006ax4.jpg

This reply is for you Martin Mathews

There is little difference between the two(300+my bike), i ride lots of twinshocks but the best so far is

stuarts 1983 Bernie Schreiber jumbo SWM, rock steps, gulleys, huge slippy climbs, the thing just eats them!

we practice once a week and next year we hope to ride both Bernies 82+83 bikes in our local twinshock trials (once we fix the 82 bike)

Alan

ps here is a pic of my bike from last year.

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/9923/p4210006ax4.jpg

Edited by ScrumpyJack

There is little difference between the two(300+my bike), i ride lots of twinshocks but the best so far is

stuarts 1983 Bernie Schreiber jumbo SWM, rock steps, gulleys, huge slippy climbs, the thing just eats them!

we practice once a week and next year we hope to ride both Bernies 82+83 bikes in our local twinshock trials (once we fix the 82 bike)

Hi Alan

I am secretly hoping that Stuart will get bored of trials and take up fishing or something.......allowing me to purchase one of those Bernie bikes.

Could always find you a nice SWM when you get bored of Fantics :chairfall:

Regards

Martin