Places To Learn To Ride Trials Around Sheffield Help Please

firestarter1977

hi all

newbie here !!!

i currently ride motorcross but since moving up to sheffield i have found areas that look good for trails and little area for MX so thinking of selling the crosser and buying a trials.

i wondered if anyone could put me in the picture on how to learn to ride trials (i.e private clubs etc)

i dont really want to turn up at an event without learning to ride first.

anyone got any ideas on this and any places to try in or around sheffield and derbyshire

thanks for any replys in advance

regards mark

Edited by firestarter1977

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your best bet would be to contact Hillsborough club and also the Barnsley Club. The web address for Hillsborough is Hillsborough and Barnsley's is Barnsley.

If you want to use the MX'er then Armthorpe near Doncaster is open and your nearest dealers would be RPM Motorcycles and <mention of this company is not permitted on Trials Central> Trialsport

Edited by Telecat

hey firestarter,

where abouts in sheff are you ? maybe you could meet up with acouple of people, practice with them, and get some tips ?

Or ask for a go :angry:

ITs a good sport, been in it less than a year, did my first event with a knackered tyre...didnt do too well, but i enjoyed it anyway, didnt give a monkeys what other people thought !

Matt

im up near stocksbridge and penistone

have you taken your bike up this area, heard about a few crossers up here ??

Matt

P.s

Have you been to see a trial yet ? its quite different from playing with mates.....well in honesty i should make sections and practice...but i dont yet haha. As telecat said, the barnsley club is dead near and is good to go along to

Edited by Magicmat

hi matt

i am in Ecclesfield right now , although i dont have a trials bike at the moment i would still be interested in meeting people who could give advise on the sport. then would sell the RM to fund a trials.

are you anywhere close by???

regards mark

I live near you, i go behind the Lidget, between Chapletown and Hoyland, there is about 10 people i know of that goes there, never had any trouble there. Also high Green woods , but i know the police sometimes go there, i have never seen them just heard thats all. You could also go along to the Hillsborough Trial club, they have some good trials, they meet at 9pm in the White heart at Oughtibridge every Wednesday.

Got moved on by the police at the deepcar end of wharncliffe a couple of months back (near where the old station is) that old tire dump/quarry bit. The officer was very pleasant and said he never had any problems with trials riders (i was just impressed he knew the difference !) but they had been plagued with crossers and enduro bikes ripping around at high speeds mainly in the woods/fire tracks so everyone was now moved on.

same old....same old eh ?

Got moved on by the police at the deepcar end of wharncliffe a couple of months back (near where the old station is) that old tire dump/quarry bit. The officer was very pleasant and said he never had any problems with trials riders (i was just impressed he knew the difference !) but they had been plagued with crossers and enduro bikes ripping around at high speeds mainly in the woods/fire tracks so everyone was now moved on.

Is that just off Stocksbridge by pass ? If it is, thought they was getting the big diggers in there or do ya mean in the woods ?

hi matt

no aint got the crosser up here, its still over in east yorks.

i aint been to a trials event yet but used to ride at armthorpe MX park which is a proper job and we have a track over in E yorks on some set aside land that we also use.

dougie

i have emailed the boys that meet in oughtibridge and will pop down on a wednesday night next time i am free.

i know where chap is but not hoyland lol as only been up here for about 3 months.

are you a member of the hillsbro club ??

thanks for all your help chaps !

regards mark

hi matt

no aint got the crosser up here, its still over in east yorks.

i aint been to a trials event yet but used to ride at armthorpe MX park which is a proper job and we have a track over in E yorks on some set aside land that we also use.

dougie

i have emailed the boys that meet in oughtibridge and will pop down on a wednesday night next time i am free.

i know where chap is but not hoyland lol as only been up here for about 3 months.

are you a member of the hillsbro club ??

thanks for all your help chaps !

regards mark

Hoyland is just before Birdwell or the M1 j36.

Yes i am a member of Hillsborough, good set of lads even tho i have only just been to the meets myself.

If you are coming from Ecclesfield towards Chap, when you get to Chap round about go straight on past the GT news agents up the hill over the motorway bridge, then back down the other side, after a couple of miles from chap, you will come to a railway bridge and a dip underneath it (great dip at speed in the car in the opposite way, all 4 wheels off the ground) immediatley after the dip there is a few cars for sale on the right hand side and a garage called the lidget, with lorries behind it, that is where you can play on the bikes. If you can't find it , just email me and i will take you there one day, nothing extreme there just a good few hours out on the bike.

Edited by Dougie Pumpkin

Hey guys

It seems i may make a few local friends ! will be a first ! :)

Maybe a few of us should meet up at this spot and have a play? would be nice to have a ride with some folk, as ive only been in the trials scene since feb and only know acouple of people to practice with,

And if your a trusty fellow firestarter ... i may let you have a go :thumbup::beer:

Hey guys

It seems i may make a few local friends ! will be a first ! :)

Maybe a few of us should meet up at this spot and have a play? would be nice to have a ride with some folk, as ive only been in the trials scene since feb and only know acouple of people to practice with,

And if your a trusty fellow firestarter ... i may let you have a go :thumbup::beer:

Yes it would be good, i have replied to your PM Magicmat.

firestarter you would be welcome to try my bike as well, it would give you a feel for a couple of different bikes.

Is that just off Stocksbridge by pass ? If it is, thought they was getting the big diggers in there or do ya mean in the woods ?

no dougie in the bottom at beepcar just before the bridge heading towards the bypass. Turn off to the right and pass the Low woods club. It has been sold and is going to be developed for housing

hi all

thanks for all the good info fellas, also appreciate the offers for a trial on a trials bikes lol!!!

i would deffo be up for meeting at a local practice spot if anyone fancied it as i am keen to learn about the sport with a view to buying my own bike very shortly .

dougie

think something very sedate would suit me for a beginner lol

our lass knows where the practice spot near hoyland is i will have a drive past and see if i can see anyone there sometime failing that i will wait and see if some of the locals are gunna arrange a meet !!!

heres a question for you all . what size bike would you recommend for a starter. i would have guessed 250 and the most i can afford but then i am only going on my experience with MX and realise trials is a different can of worms

thanks again for your help

regards mark

Edited by firestarter1977