Beta Wont Start!

beta bodger

:angry: Help! Ive got a REV 3 250 2000 model and something is certainly not right!

I was out last weekend and the bike started ok and ran for say an hour then the bike stalled and could I hell as like start it!

So back to the shed and stripped the carb cleaned the jets etc re assemble etc. I have cleaned the air filter and changed the plug to the right gap. The bike trys to turn over but only fires for say five to ten seconds then dies.

It may be ive cocked up the carb adjustments as I am pretty new to all this. I have the mixture screw set at two and a half turns. I am trying to set up the carb but cant get the bike started long enough to balance it.

After 15 mins of sweat I have put the bike away.

Not sure where to go from here! :D

Electrics? or Carburation?

Hi Chris,

Try your Stator plate and the coil as a first step.

Did it run "Lumpy" before it stopped, If so it could be the cdi unit.my old man has had similar problems recently.

If you're stumped and get no joy on here give Lampkins a ring, either Gary or John are always happy to help

Cheers

Donald

had the same fault on my 2000 model. see if you get a good fat spark if not its likeley to be the CDI. its easy to change, see if you can borrow one or give lampkins a ring they are very helpful. lets us know how you get on.

good luck. :wall:

Hi Chris,

hope you didn't lay out much cash before you found the problem..

The one my dad bought just after me was screwed till the first time I went down the road (they live in the west of scotland) we stripped mine and he mirrored the wiring in it. Worked fine, then the cdi packed in!!!

glad you got it going

Donald

• 4 weeks later...

That's what happens as you get older :guinness:

With mine open the petrol tap, open the choke, snick it into gear rock it back and fore to check the clutch is free, then a good hard prod on the kickstart no throttle, first or second kick every time, leave choke on for 10 sec switch it off and warm it up gently. Lots of folks seem to have problems starting them.

I think I've been really lucky with mine though not had any major problems that couldn't be sorted quickly.

Cheers

Slapshot