Aprilia Climber

skid

Whats up with these bikes?

Thinking about a trials bike to knock around on and help improve my trail riding skillz!! My main ride is a gas gas DE 300. My brother has an 90 Aprilia Climber. 240 he thinks but not sure. It has very little use. He got it used to knock around on and hasn't played with it in 10 yrs. He said it needs the front forks serviced and rebuilt, rear shock serviced and an air filter. Other than that he said it runs fine. Would this be a good bike for a noob to knock around on. I like smooth power. Looking for and easy fun bike to hack around on. any idea what it would be worth with the suspension up to snuff. I'm thinking i might offer to fix it up in exchange for using it for a spell, sort of like leasing it for a summer! Kind of a cheap way to check out the sport. My other option would be to find a newer bike in the $2000 to $2500 range.

Thoughts anyone??

The Climber was the bike of its time here in the states.

Disc brake and pretty light weight compared to the competition (ty, beta, fantic) were its strong points.

What i remember riding them is they had a lot of rake and didnt turn in as sharp as my ty350.

If you looking to put around or looking for a good woods bike go for it!

If your looking to move up in the trials world try for a bike after the 2000 model year.

If your looking to ride a trials every once in a while this would be a good bike.

parts such as brakes and hydraulics are pretty avialable.

www.tryalsshop.com here in the states has parts avialable here in the states.

Have fun

--biff

I would advise you to steer well clear of the Aprillia. I had one in 1992 and really struggled to make it grip. They are a pretty big lump aswell.

Here is a vid of me on the old beast.

After the Aprillia I went back to a Yamaha TY250R and my results instantly improved.

Go for something newer, 2000 onwards perhaps.

Edited by steve

I would advise you to steer well clear of the Aprillia. I had one in 1992 and really struggled to make it grip. They are a pretty big lump aswell.

Here is a vid of me on the old beast.

After the Aprillia I went back to a Yamaha TY250R and my results instantly improved.

Go for something newer, 2000 onwards perhaps.

Haha awesome vid mate! Thats the exact same bike ive got at the moment, albeit with the engine in many smaller pieces and not working! Great to see it in action!

I really shouldn't have got the bike but was tempted by a sponshorship deal from a new dealer. Although I got used to the power eventually I never really rode it as good as I did the old Yam. The suspension and brakes etc.. were really good though.

I suppose if you have a 92 Apirillia in bits it's a job to know how much money to spend getting it running considering it's low value

Steve,

I rode a 240 in 91' one of the green one's and I loved it could'nt fault it at all , but I tried a 280 like you were riding in the vid and I could'nt ride the bloody thing at all infact the only gear that I could make it grip in was 4th slipping the clutch, and it had the power to pull it.

I have to say it was quite good fun trying to hang on to it but in the tight sections I was hopeless!

Like you I reverted back to the old faithfull TY Pinky, from one extreme to the other you might say but it was a doddle to ride. :hyper:

I still won a few Trials on the Aprillia but only in Dry conditions.

I remember one week I rode at a slippery Leciester Trial and dropped about 10 times the marks of the winner.

The next week I rode a Nene Valley trial which was dry grippy sections which needeed a lot of trick riding. I easily won the Trial beating many of the riders who were at Leicester. They couldn't believe it was the same bloke !

I remember riding the Banbury National in 1992. I was just behind Steve Saunders who was also on the Aprillia. There was a greasy mud bank everyone was struggling with. Steve revved the bike to the absolute max and slipped the clutch. He flew up but the back wheel never spun at all. I tried to copy and only got about half way up!

Yeah, that's me.

I know Rob rode one but thought it was in 93. It's all kind of hazy now!!

So you know who I am, should I know you? Did you ride the Nobac that year? - I'll have to go in the loft and dig the results out. I bet you were higher up the list than me.

I had just started riding nationals in 91 and dislocated my shoulder a few times. Had an op in 92 and then had to try and tame an aprillia!!

Hi Steve,

not sure if I rode in 92' like you it all seems a bit hazy these days but I definatly know I rode in 93' because I have just found the results why the hell we keep them I'll never know but it just shows they do come in handy eventually and apparently I finished 6th.

I do remember you riding but I wouldn't say I knew you all that well as I came from 'UP NORTH!'

Any ideas :(

Ahh - I have a name now. Handy those old results sometimes!!! Damn good ride that. You lost out on 5th with Rob Warner on a tie break.

I got the dates wrong as I didn't ride in '92. I reckon that 93 Nobac was my first national since my shoulder op in 92. Took me a while to regain any confidence in it.

I was rubbish at National Trials to start with. So different to the pocket hankerchief club Trials in our centre. I could't afford to ride too many at that stage though. It wasn't until 96 when I started travelling and riding with richard Allen that I did many. I set myself a goal of scoring points in the MCN clubmans championships, I think it was the Jack Wood that I first accomplished my ambition.

Opps there I go again rambling on about my favourite subject again -myself !!! What was this thread about ?

Yes good point sorry for hyjacking your thread 'skid' but you took me back to some happy days on the Aprilia, anyway best of luck with it and all the the best to you Steve and remember me to 'Richard Allen' if you are still in touch with him :(

Edited by 2fargone

No apology required ....

Happy to touch off some memories

Nothing wrong with a little bench racing.

Still not sure if I'll follow through on getting a trials bike.

Took a look at my bro's climber and its all there and still in good shape. Lot cheaper to get it up and running for him then to drop $2 to 2.5K on a newer bike just to find out if i'm into it.