72 Bultaco

mk1

hi,just joined your forum so go easy on me :( ive just treated myself to a 72 model bultaco sherpa 91 model I believe,is this the slimline model?it all appears original apart from the black frame but will restore it back to its original spec when I get my montesa 348 up and running(also got a couple of ossa mars,70&74 model&fantic section in bits)back to the bulto,whats the recomended spark plug&gap and petrol mix on fully synth,hoping to get it out this weekend up charltons,heres a few pics :D

ebay004.jpg

ebay003.jpg

ebay002.jpg

Morning mk1, if you are off to Charlton's this weekend it might be an idea to go on Saturday, as on Sunday Guisborough are holding a centre trial there and no practising is allowed until the trial is over. Just thought might save you a wasted journey. Good luck with the restoration and keep the pics coming.

Yes you can use the fibreglass tank on the road. The law only applied to new bikes being sold at the time, not those with them already fitted.

No lights or indicators required for MOT, they just mark it day use only but some testers seem to want a rear reflector - why? if your using it in daytime only what use is a reflector.... Speedo not needed for MOT but will be for use on the road. Continuous sounding horn required for bikes made after a certain date which I can't remember. You can buy a pushbike horn and speedo from Halfords.

Yes, there is a classifieds section. If you let me know what you want for your Ossas, or start another topic or whatever I'll see if I can help with where to source the parts as they're not so well catered for as Bults

Just some important tips about this bike if you are going to race trials with it.

It is very important you choose the proper shocks, because if you put longer ones or too slow, the rear wheel will rebound in some ocasions (mainly uphill with small stones). WES springs are very good for it in the front, but also again make it slow by cutting the aluminium cilynder to arround 3 cm.

The combination of fast springs in the front and longer shocks in the rear, makes this bike very difficult to control.

Frontera footrest fits perfect, are bigger than the original Sherpa ones and will give you a better stand and balance.

Brakes are VERY GOOD even when wet if they are fixed properly. I hope you show us the bike when it is finished. Good luck.

had it out today for a few hours to see how she goes and what problems need sorting,front forks seals are u/s,forks feel a bit soft,bent a rear shock,proberly bottomed out as they look like the original shocks fitted new,bent a lever,missfire under load but enjoyed myself as thats what its all about,whats the best shocks to fit?seen some betor ones for half decent price,whats the best length?,the spacer mod for the front springs does that make much of a difference?missfire under load plug maybe although it looks new,finally clutch is draging,does not release fully,other than that the motor feels quite fit :D