Montessa Test Day

jamie stokes

I went to the day and agree partly with the original post. I suspect the tenner was to put off tyre kickers, but must also have gone only part of the way to covering the days costs. Hotel must have charged, six bikes on the go constantly, memebers of staff looking after booking in and the bikes.

Sandifords were very unlucky with the weather, but a couple of points:

Freezing cold bacon butties is disappointing when the blurb says catering on site.

Only one dealer there - Appleyards selling discounted 05 bikes as well as new!! I think that's called mixed marketing messages?

Bit of a waste having your 7 time world champ holding down awnings rather than riding a bike.

However did think there was enough land to go at to form a view on the bikes and will probably buy one in due course. New or secondhand or discounted - who knows?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You cant blame the lad for spelling it wrong either, really. Some of Sandifords own dealers are spelling it incorrectly on their own web sites, including those who are no longer welcome on these pages. Its a minor point, but one which should have been addressed. Its little slip ups like that which leaves people questioning just how professional the people are who cant spell the name of their own product. Good post though OTF, got to say i agree entirely.

Edited by TRICKYMICKY

Hi i ment this post to be a way for me to find out wat othere people thought about the day. I think it was well orginised but the weather didant help. But i will say this and this is my opinon(and if this is criticised im leaving trials central eg won't even look at it any more as i think i have a right to my own opinion dont i ??) If some one asked me how the day was i would say "it was not bad but could have been better" why ? because 1. 7 time world campion dougie lampkin, wat was the point in him being there if he was not even on a bike ??? (also its not as if he couldant ride because he didant have his riding gear because he had it on!!! He even had is helme there!!) 2. This did not really put me off the day but i think its needs to be heard the riders in the Montesa team were not wearing helmets (please post your comment on this ) dont you think they should have had lids on ??? 3. we had to pay a

Hi Jamie

I have read your posts, and would comment as follows, (note: i attended the test day as a helper/ and recieve support from Sandifords)

Yes i'd agree with you in stating that from a safety point of view, the team riders should have had helmets on, however with only each rider having 20 minutes on the bike, it can become really frustrating to both instructor and rider when niether of you can hear what is being said, as a helmet is blocking your hearing.

I stood out most of the day and was guilty of riding without a helmet, i appreciate your comment, but note i never attempted any section i thought would pose a danger to myself, and when i did have a go at these sections i wore my helmet.

Doug did ride a bike during the day, for quite some time. But also has duty to some of the spectators / sponsors / family and friends to mingle and chat with them. If he didnt ride the bike when you were about, i guess you missed his slot - sorry.

Regarding payment of

Nice to see that this has turned into a constructive thread now after surviving the initial onslaught. I'd be interested to know what makes the 07 so different from the 06, particularly if the clutch has been sorted. If there is one thing I truly hate about my 05 it is the bloody clutch and my mate's 06 was no different. If the clutch can be updated to 07 spec it would be good news. Now if only there was a way of dropping the tickover.

I havent got a clue about the tickover. But i do no the cluch is sorted on the 07 its easy to use and has a gradual biting poing its not as sharp as the 06, were there eathere on or off. I do not wat can help with and 05 bikes cluch as some one in our center did and likes his bike so much more now because he bought a mitani cluch kit and fitted a bigger resivo wich just changing the resivo can help tho

I'm not going to jump on any bandwagons I'm just going to give my take of the day...

When we first got to the hotel the setup of all the Sandifords banners looked very professional, not something I'm too bothered about but credit is due for making the effort. Got out the car and it were a bit windy but nowt I could complain about (and besides what would be the point, you can't blame anyone for that). Got down to where the bikes and folk were and waited our turn to ride, quite entertaining watching Doug attempt one of the sections one-handed.

Time to ride, and sorry to say I were quite disappointed with the bike, it felt like the clutch didn't bite until it were right out and didn't seem to have any feel, just seemed on or off, (could've just been me but I've ridden a 4RT before and didn't seem to have this problem, out of interest it were bike#2). Also I'd like to point out that I can't be disappointed with only having 20mins ride because we were told this when we booked, HOWEVER we were told that we WOULD GET TUITION when we rode but this just didn't happen.

The sections were quite good for the location, because realistically these are brand new bikes so muddy sections are a good way of not beating the hell out of the bikes. I thought they were a bit difficult for your average clubman rider which, correct me if I'm wrong is a big market, but then again I'm maybe been too picky and I had a lot of fun trying the far-end section again and again (and the 4RT did grip well up the bank).

Rob

OK

4. The weather. I look at two websites that provide wheather forcasts for up to two weeks. Test sections can then be planned with the weather in mind. Anyway how long does it take to move a couple of flags?

Weather forecasts for 2 weeks, how long does it take to move a couple o flags,

THEES A NUTTER!

See if they get tomorrows weather right !

Test sections ?

How much time have folk got, how much availability of the land?

WAKE UP PLEASE