Radiator Leak?

sam

My 03 Montesa has a very small radiator leak. As far as I can tell the leak is located at the start of the spout where you fill fluid. I have checked over and over again the cap, but that is not it, I'm sure its the bottom side of the spout right at the flush spot of the radiator, at the seam.

I imagine the spout/cap had slammed the fuel tank in some funky way creating the leak.

Any tips on what to use to possibly seal this crack?

Or should I take it to a radiator shop?

J&B Weld maybe.

sam

Edited by Sam

If it is brass you should be able to solder it. If aluminum-NOT!

Use ACID core solder on brass and clean area well with a wire brush, pref. a stainless toothbrush!

Brake cleaner usually works well to remove paint. Then blow dry so as not to explode when you put the torch to it! :guinness:

Good luck, let us know what happens!

The replacement rad is the way to go..

But if you are on a real tight budget,clean the rad with an alcahol wipe from a first aid kit and run a bead of araldite round it(this was a emergency repair tecnique on military helicopters)it will flow into the crack then when dry you can paint it.

If the radiator is aluminum, you can but aluminum oxide graphite into the crack and heat it slightly! Not much heat is needed. this will seal it right now. Used to do it on enduro bikes all the time. We would actually put the aluminum oxide graphite right into the radiator. It would find the leak and plug it. Like magic. Works good if it is a small leak. Big leak, sorry no luck this will not work.