Single Lap Classic Trial.

scorpa3

Having ridden in many Miller rounds over the last few years on a trail bike, I find these events to be excellent value for money. I enjoy single lap trials on the road and being on a trail bike the distance is not an issue.

But what is the ideal length for a classic trial on the road if you are riding a classic bike?

Our club has a Miller round every year and it would be easy for us to use groups around a 60 mile course, equally we could do it over say 10 or 15 mile course if we had to.

I do 2/3 long distance trials a year on my old mans triumph 1963 scottish six day 3ta twin, thay are about 75 miles long with about 16 to 20 section, thay all run over the exmoor area, a real good fun day out on a bike.

next one is on the 28 jan, starts in barnstaple is about 70 miles finnishes at Brendon on exmoor, and run by the north devon motor club.thay use alot of old green lanes and old metal roads,some of the time iam the only one on a british bike, but i sill keep up with the new ones. :D

Just in the process of putting one of these events together, tho its two laps of 22 miles to be ridden twice, with 15 sectins per lap, should help on observers too doing only 15 sections.

More on this event when i get back from sunning me sen in GOA :):):)

I did three of the Miller rounds last year for the first time and I also enjoy doing the road mileage, though doing it on a 2-stroke twinshock does provide some additional challenges. The trials I did were 28,40 and 40 miles, single lap with around 30-35 sections and the main issues for me were petrol.

My SWM is not the most economical beast and does around 25-28 miles on a (metal) tank full. Only one of the trials (the Downland) made provision for a petrol stop and I had to use the spare litre in the Sigg bottle I carry with me to get to that stop. In some cases, you have to dash round at the start to find an observer to pass fuel to. Because of fuel economy and gearing, some of the twinshocks may not be the quickest on the road either, so can at times be a little slow on the lap. That said, some of the guys have done 70-80 mile long distance trials on their twinshock bilkes, no problems.

Therefore distance isn't a problem and if there is provision for fuel and enough time, I wouldn't prefer a longer lap.

Pitley, 2 laps of 22 miles will be fine :) but need to think about the time do it in, though no Tremorithic at the end ???

Edited by malcra

I did three of the Miller rounds last year for the first time and I also enjoy doing the road mileage, though doing it on a 2-stroke twinshock does provide some additional challenges. The trials I did were 28,40 and 40 miles, single lap with around 30-35 sections and the main issues for me were petrol.

My SWM is not the most economical beast and does around 25-28 miles on a (metal) tank full. Only one of the trials (the Downland) made provision for a petrol stop and I had to use the spare litre in the Sigg bottle I carry with me to get to that stop. In some cases, you have to dash round at the start to find an observer to pass fuel to. Because of fuel economy and gearing, some of the twinshocks may not be the quickest on the road either, so can at times be a little slow on the lap. That said, some of the guys have does 70-80 mile long distance trials on their twinshock bilkes, not problems.

Therefore distance isn't a problem and if their is provision for fuel and enough time, prefer a longer lap.

Pitley, 2 laps of 22 miles will be fine :) but need to think about the time do it in, though no Tremorithic at the end ???

Do you think riders of the smaller classic machines would enjoy a longer lap?

Do you think riders of the smaller classic machines would enjoy a longer lap?

In part depends on the longest single piece of roadwork; if you can 70+ miles a day on a modern bike (like the Scottish), should be able to do it on a twinshock from a comfort point of view. The longer the miles the more breakdowns and failures you are going to have. It seems a lot twinshock owners/riders are put off road trials at the moment; look at the Rhayader Classic Experts trial, 28 twinshocks and 60+ pre-65, perhaps its not having a road-reg'd bike, or maybe the distance. Despite of the (lack) quality of my riding, single lap road trials are what's it about. Doing it on an affordable twinshock helps.

Doing 70+ miles on a two-stroke Montesa, Bultaco or SWM needs a well maintained piece of kit, so providing some assurance about recovery, as well as the petrol stop(s) would encourage me and others. When the Rotaxs' buzzing along about 25-30 mph along a quiet country road then everying is fine; when you're on the middle of the Downs on a green lane with the b****r refusing to start and its getting dark is when you wonder "why I am here?"

Longer laps, of over 40 miles, with 30+ sections would take a while to do, but with the right things in place for smaller classic bikes, rather than just trail bikes, then I'd be up for it.

Going back to the Miller rounds, could I ride one of them on my TY MONO or is it just for pre65 and twinshocks??

Cheers

Mark

For the Stratford Clubs Union Jack round we would welcome any machine in the Non Championship trail bike class. Either the Hard or the Easy routes. It's non championship so it doesn't matter if you are stretching the concept of trail bike a little :)

pete there are no road based acu classic rounds in this area and i feel sure if the stratford club put one

on based around the colmore / sam cooper area it would atract a lot of interest even if it was not a acu

round , 70 mile lap does sound a bit bum numbing though , and you would need a good 7 hours to do

the lap and at least 2 petrol stops and 40 sections, does sound a good idea if you can get it off the ground,

maybe during the summer months , so hurry up ! :)

The main reason for raising the subject is that we may well start the UJ from the Village Hall at Blackwell this year. We used it for the OK Supreme LDT and it is perfect apart from the fact that it is another 5 miles from Dovedale and back again from what we are used to.

The UJ would work really well using a route similar to the LDT apart from mileage.

Hence my question. What is the ideal length for a Classic trial?

• 2 weeks later...

So, do any classic riders think 50 miles is too far for a Miller round? We are starting to plan the route now.

Any comments/thoughts appreciated.

sorry been away from TC (work made me). 50 miles on my SWM will be interesting; as long as fuel is sorted (I found an observer at the last minute last year) who went to the group after Top Farm; I just made it. Go for it, I should make it to Dovedale.

BTW, the UJ is the same day as the Mitchell which is 5 miles from my house; riding is always better than watching, no matter how good :-)