Ty 80 Clutch

the colonel

Hi, I've just bought my son a TY80. The clutch is pretty heavy, I can work it fine with adult hands but his younger fingers aren't strong enough to cope!

I've seen in some sellers adverts for these bikes that clutch modifications have been made to make the clutch much lighter. Any one out there able to telle me these mods are or how to make the clutch lighter to use in anyway?

Thanks for any help.

colonel.

You might of done it allready but if not.whip off the clutch casing and inspect the plate's and make sure thing's are operating ok.check the cable aswell.

i dont remmember them having stiff clutche's personally. the yamaha clutche's are normaly pretty easy to use.if your happy the clutch is working as it should after that then it might be a good idea looking into doing a mod.

Edited by bilco

My kids are older now, (still have the last TY80 in the garage) but as I recall, the clutch was hard for 4 or 5 or 6 yrs old just because of size of hand, but not heavy in pull.

TY80 has a strange mechanism,, a plastic spiral gear in the left housing that pushes on the center rod through to the clutch. Part of the rod is exposed just ahead of chain sprocket. The spiral mechanism and push rod are exposed to dirt slung from the chain, and to damage is a chain is spit off.

The arm to the cable is still avaliable from Yam but spiral gear is not. Since the arm is riveted onto the gear, it's a moot point. Basically, these parts are vulnerable to damage and NLA from Yamaha, at least in the US.

My suggestions:

1. make sure you have a very good chain tensioner on it. stock on is easily damaged, usually gone. If you need to make one I can send you some drawings.

2. Disassemble, throughly clean the sand out of spiral and everything, and check it all over.

3. Replace the cable, or make very sure it is lubed. I have seen issues with cables on bikes in storage a long time where they felt super smooth when unhooked, but bound heavily when under load around the corners of bends. I assume there was some rough surfaces inside. I used graphite or moly lubes in suspension in pentrating oil.

I have heard of someone lengthining the arm on the spiral gear, but it requires careful tig welding and drilling a new exit hole for the cable on the top of the case. Personally, I would not go there.

There are inline devices that have two levers inside them to increase leverage.

Bob Ginder at B&J sells a lever and perch with adjustable fulcrums. I don't know if they would fit the smaller TY size or not.

kcj

Hi There.

My son rode a TY80 several years back. From memory and on advice from those who know these things I removed 2 of the clutch springs. Think there were 5 in all. We never had any issues with clutch slip and the clutch was wonderfully light. It worked well enough to win plenty of trials and made life much easier for a small 7 year old.

Hope this helps.

Mike

It was a few years back but I bought a modified (lengthened) actuating arm of the worm assembly I am sure from birkets but cold be wrong. Fitted it with a new cable and original levers, (longer than many after market ones and quite close to the bars) very light no problems with both of my children. Didn't bother to drill a new hole in the case but it would have been a better job. When ever the clutch started to get a bit stiff striped the worm assembly and regreased and lubed the cable and normal service was resumed. Don't think I removed any clutch springs can't really remember but wouldn't have a problem with trying it as have deff removed two on the Fantic which makes quite a difference with no noticeable side effects (had the bike since new so it's been missing springs for years). Let us know how you get on.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, I've just bought my son a TY80. The clutch is pretty heavy, I can work it fine with adult hands but his younger fingers aren't strong enough to cope!

I've seen in some sellers adverts for these bikes that clutch modifications have been made to make the clutch much lighter. Any one out there able to telle me these mods are or how to make the clutch lighter to use in anyway?

Thanks for any help.

hi some trials shops sell ty80 clutch lighteners

• 2 weeks later...

HI,

Thanks to everyone for your advice. I stripped the entire clutch assembly, filed some grooves out of the basket, serviced the activating worm, replaced the friction plates, cable and lever and the whole thing is working much smoother and lighter now. I think the biggest impact was made by the cable, which according to the supplier was the bikes original cable (coloured grey!).

Thanks again...I'll be back with any other probs.

Keep your feet up.