Does This Meen Any Thing To You Ict People Out There ?

jamie stokes

RAM is the memory available to run XP and then any other programs which include all those little icons in the system tray. It's the "Sticks" that are on the system board. 128 is not enough to run XP and any other system processes(which is what those Icons are along with others) and expect anything else you load to run quickly. That 18 mb would become 140ish if you went up to 256 and around 350 if you went to 512 which is a lot of room to run the programs.

SDRAM is nowdays considered slow as the speed it runs at is 133Mhz which is much slower than the processor. Hence it has to buffer and write to disk more than the newer, faster DDR RAM in order to do the same work.

Your system board should be able to support DDR RAM but you'll have to check the Speed. Originally "2100" DDR RAM was used but the type(and its speed), have changed and 2700 and 3200 are common on Newer PC's. These run at 400Mhz.

As Everybody has (delightedly), pointed out some of that memory could be being used by Spybots, Ad software, trojans and Viri. None of them are good. Ad-Aware, Spybot Search And Destroy do sweep most of them away. Add a good Free Anti-virus and you should be safe. and hopefully a bit quicker.

Adaware and Sypot find each other as threats don't they.

The best way to get rid of adware/sypware is to not get it in the first place, be a responsible computer user and don't download everything you see on the net, even if that's not you jamie I hate it so much when people complain of a slow PC but they neglect it so much.

As stated, the small amount of memory is probably your problem.

It may help if you clean up your machine by using "disc cleanup" and "disc defragmenter" which are available in system tools.

FELIX

Adaware and Sypot find each other as threats don't they.

Nope (and I assume you mean Spybot). I use both these plus Spyware Doctor and run all 3 one after the other, which ever is used first picks up the most but the other 2 always find something else.

BTW, my pc has a 1Ghz Duron and 256 Ram running XP Pro no problem. :) D.