Painting Plastics

dan

I'm looking to paint my front mudguard soon. I know I need to use the right sort of paint in order for it not to peel and crack at the first sight of a pressure washer or when I bend my mudguard during a crash, but I don't know what sort of paint that is.

Can anyone recommend me a suitable paint for this application? I'd also appreciate any advice you can give that will help ensure a lasting finish.

buy the looks of it youve got an 07 gasser. i have sprayed my front mudgaurd black. i used that plasti-cote spray paint, it seems to be fine at the moment. but when spraying apply several thin layers over and over again untl the whole of the mudgaurd is covered, this will take a while but the finsih is lovely. once it is dry spary few thin layers of clear lacker to give a real finish

MAKE SURE THE PAINT IS DRY B4 LACKER!!!!

many thanks

will

team fahquar :)

best bet is to take the mudgaurd down to a local bodyshop / re-finishers, they will identify the type of plastic and advise what paint it will need. wont be cheap though, would'nt a new gaurd would be the best bet?

the correct way is to spray with clear plastic primer leave for half hour

then use 2k paint with plastisizer added to allow for bending

you mite be able to get this from a vehicle paint surplyer in a aerosol

they should be able to mix what 2k color you want and add the plastisizer to it

:agree: However I done a Scorpa Easy rear mudguard a while back (start of 06) all I done was flat it back with a fine wet and dry, bought a tin of "special" plastic primer in aerosol form and also bought the top coat colour I wanted from the same brand although this wasn`t "special" plastic stuff.

Application: As suggested above many thin layers of primer allow too go pretty tacky before the next, I think I done about 5-6 coats.

Then allow too fully cure, apply again in thin even coats your top coat untill desired depth of colour.

Me being me well and truly tested the flexibility of the paint and was very impressed not a sign of lifting even after I snapped and got the thing plastic welded back up :)

I just did both the front and rear on my Beta. Over here we have spray cans of paint made for plastic by Krylon and Rustoleum. Did a wet sand on them, wipe down with laquer thinner to make sure all the oil was off and sprayed. Works great and looks good. Did it in black and now I'm know as "Darth Beta"......

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry... for some reason I didn't get email updates from this topic and missed the replies for a week or so. Must have forgotten to check the box I guess.

Thanks for all the advice. Was meaning to give this a go over the weekend and show you the results but my local paint mixer was closed and Halfords plastic primer all states "for non-flexible plastics". I don't think trials mudguards count as that, especially not when connected to my bike!

As for why I'm painting it and not buying... well largely because as far as I'm aware you can't get Gas Gas front mudguards in black. It's also quite nice to have a bit more of a hand in personalising your bike than just shelling out cash for new bits :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have just painted my rear mudguard for my 2005 Beta rev 3. I have never really spray painted before. But i am so impressed with my work, if i do say so my self, i sanded it dowm first to get all the scratches out, then applied 3 coats of plastic primer, on day 1. then on day 2 i wet and dryed it with 600 grit very lightly, sprayed the colour with 3 coats. Then day 3 wet and dryed it with 1200 grit and sprayed 3 coats of clear laquer, stickers will be added tomorrow, really looks the bees knees as i am putting it up for sale Monday/Tuesday.

Edited by Dougie Pumpkin

I just did both the front and rear on my Beta. Over here we have spray cans of paint made for plastic by Krylon and Rustoleum. Did a wet sand on them, wipe down with laquer thinner to make sure all the oil was off and sprayed. Works great and looks good. Did it in black and now I'm know as "Darth Beta"......

Dido. I used a Scotch Bright pad to rough up my front Beta fender, wiped it clean, and sprayed several thin layers of paint using the Krylon plastic paint. Looks great even after an entire season of riding.