Newbie On A Gg300 Looking For Help In The Snow!

floored

I just went out in the snow for my first trials ride on my new (to me) 2004 GG TXT 300 Pro, but I had trouble hooking up. The 2 other riders I was with are also rookies, but they were able to get traction on hills I couldn't.

One of the other riders even tried to get my bike up a spot they just went up on theirs, and couldn't.

We tried playing with the gearing and the tire pressures, but nothing worked?! :banana2:

Now the others were on 250s (96 Beta, 03 Scorpa) with Michelins like mine. Could the power of the 300 be my problem?

I'm thinking of siping the lugs of my tires, like snow tires for better traction. Any thoughts on this?

Any other advice?

Edited by floored

Something I learned early on with the gas gas, is you really have to keep your weight back. The beta I could ride leaning forward in more of an attack position, but the gas gas would just spin. I had to learn to lean back, and slip the clutch big time. I also ride snowy sections in third gear and try to lug it a bit.

tilertrialler,

I would have to agree with you. I'd hoped to find a good 200, but they don't exist (within 1000Km of me anyway). The reason I then ended up with the 300 was that it was a really good deal, and a lot of what I've read suggested that many of the 250s to 280s were actually more snappy off the bottom. Things I read about the 300 were "smooth off the bottom" and "good for old fat guys". Considering I'm 210lbs, it sounded like a good 2nd choice. If worse comes to worse, I should be able to sell it for more than I bought it.

Now as for all the other great suggestions, thank you. If I understand you all right:

-weight way back (very light front end, almost wheelied) with heels down

-knees bent for lower centre of gravity

-lots of clutch slip

-very light throttle

To help with it all someone just told me about a "Slow throttle", so I'm ordering that.

Any thoughts on Siping the Tires?

Hello Floored,

I am on my second 300 Gasser. It's definately a good idea to fit the Hebo 750 gram flywheel weight kit. It would help with getting grip and momentum at low revs. A black tube, slow action throttle would also help. I guess you are in the USA or Canada judging by the English, you can get the kits from one of the GG dealers or ask Rising Sun Imports for more info on the closest help.

I don't know what you mean by siping the tyres.

Bye, Peter B.

PeterB,

Growing up in Canada, siping a tire for traction in the winter has been around for as long as I can remember.

Once upon a time good tire shops used to do it as an extra service for customers. Now winter tires already come siped.

Considering trials riding and it's need for traction, I'm surprised it hasn't already been tried!

Too bad it's too late to patent it.

Here is a quote from a local tire shop site to explain:

"Looking to improve your traction on snow, ice or in wet weather? Consider tire siping - a process that cuts tiny slits across the tread of tires.