Knee Op

barnesy

Two guys in our club have had ACL replacements. One did the cadaver thing and the other had a piece of his own tissue transplanted. The cadaver option seemed to be the superior option. Seemed like he didn't even miss a meet and had a very quick recovery time, like six to eight weeks, while the other fellow took a longer time to get back up to speed. Both are riding well now, but the cadaver replacement doesn't even wear a brace where the other does. I know of two other cadaver replacements with folks at work, and neither seem to have any problems at all and were up and around in record time.

Edited by Ridgrunr

• 2 weeks later...

Got my ACL reconstructed on Nov3rd 2003, used 1/3rd of my patellar ligament as a graft. The operation was done using keyhole surgery and I was in the hospital for a total of 10 hours.

I was expecting a lot of pain and was told I could dose myself with morphine when I came round after the operation. Anyway, when I finally came round, the pain I expected wasn't there (my fellow patients down at knee physio class said the same), apparantly due to the effect the recon has on the nerves around the knee.

The physio got me up and about with the use of crutches, about 2 hours prior to my mate picking me up from hospital, slightly frightening but its the normal routine. 6 weeks on crutches was recommended by my surgeon as the graft is basically 2 bits of bone with a ligament in the middle, and bone takes 6 weeks to heal.

Started one to one physio 5 days later (crutches used to get to the classes), where the main aim is to get your full range of movement back, ie, getting the bugger to straighten out again, and getting 135 deg of movement. This process took about 2 weeks, and still no great pain.

Knee classes followed shortly where the objective is to get your knee strong again, lots of squating, step m/c work, stretching etc.

Couldn't drive for about a month, but you'll get someone to spoil you rotten when you explain what surgery you had!.

Well 5 months has now passed, knee definately stronger, slightly numb but pretty much pain free. Back on a mountain bike for 2 months and found it really helps to get the muscles back to full size, I will definately not be riding my Mont until Nov/Dec this year- those Americans must be super human.

Anyway good luck, get a good surgeon and look forward to lots of physio.

ATB

Had a cadaver replacement done in 95, been good through much abuse; trials and surfing. Recovery time was not too bad, was back surfing in 3 months, waited till 6 months to ride trials again. Much faster and stronger than the other alternitives, less painful also!

Good luck and a speedy recovery!