Front Brakes

copemech

So where is the best place to get the kit for a front disk, on a bike that is fitted for it, but not equipped?

What do they cost?

Do you mean the whole kit or just disc, the guys on trials forum really rate the AVID BB7

Supposedly less hassle than Magura's and the like with equal performance (virtually)

Edited by lastplacebrad

Being about to get a set of discs for my mountain bike (carbon fibre levers & m/c, hayes ones) i would highly reccomend the hope mono mini trials brake after trying one to see if it would suit, these are easy to set up and can be perfectly alligned with the shims provides. I wouldnt reccomend the cable discs as they eat pads and are rubbish in the wet + there is the problem of gettin grit in the cables.

On a mod I'm running a Hope Trials brake, and it is absolutely brilliant, I can't really fault it and is much more reliable in the wet than any other rim brake I've ever run, plus it is really light at the lever. I much prefer it to a front Hs33 because it is so much easier to keep running nicely, it sorts itself.

New rotors aren't too expensive, but I actually found that they are quite solid, but are also don't catch stuff as often as you might think.

Bob

Thanks all,

That AVID may be the way to go as the others cost more than the bike!

Nice stuff, but I am not so sure that I enjoy pedal power , yet! :D

If you want a cable brake thenTHESE are the cheaper avid brakes, they are almost the same as the avid bb7 posted earlier, but are used as OE on loads of bikes so are cheap, as they arent usually available off of a bike.

The bb5 has a little less leaverage than the bb7, they also do not have the adjustability of the bb7. If you are on a budget get a bb5 with a half decent lever. I have a cannondale lever on the b221 with a bb5 and it locks up easily, however the echo has a bb7 with a speed dial 7 by avid and I can adjust how the brakes work (feel and modulation). I prefer the bb7above all other cable brakes, DO NOT get Hayes they are crap!! mx1 work when they want to and the mx2 have no adjustability besides 1 pad adjustment.

mx1 1 adjustment

mx2 1 adjustment

bb5 2 adjustments (both pads)

bb7 5 adjustments (both pads, 2 cable adjusters, and a modulation adjuster(so you can use a cheepie lever))

The best brake out there is the hope mono mini trials brake (get a second mortgage to buy these)

Hope this helps

Jason H

Edited by anotherfatbastard