Heavy Flywheel

bobtlr

hey is there someone with any exerience whit the heavy flywheel convertion for a pro? I would like the bike to be less agressive and more gripping in the wet stuff . i have it on my bike now (jtr 250) and its great but im planning to buy me a pro now i also having doubts 250- 280-300 ?

thanks, bob

Hello Bob,

I am on my second 300 Gas Gas, fitted with the Hebo 750 gram flywheel weight. It's an 06 Raga 300 which has a far sharper power delivery than my previous 04 model. Both bikes benefit from the extra weight, much more controllable going up rocky rivers and easier to ride in the wet. I haven't tried a 250 PRO or earlier model Gasser with the extra weight and would not have thought this was necessary. I've been riding a long time and like a more controllable power delivery, not something snappy.

From the sound of it, you may be best off riding the 250 PRO, the 280 is a bit sharp in power delivery and the 300 just keeps on pulling and can get a rider in trouble. The 250 grips real well and is the easiest bike of the three to ride. Try it standard at first then fit the extra weight if you feel this would help. Make sure you have a 10T gearbox sprocket. Knowing what area you ride in would help. I'm in NZ where the trials are similar to up north in the UK, except much warmer! Lots of rocks, banks, tree roots but no moors. Very slippy in the winter.

Bye, Peter.

hey tnx for the help

people told me also i should go for the 250 or the 300 (but not the raga version) as the 280 is quite agressive

i live in belgium so lots of mud, and lose surface (and rocks ans clims out of rivers and so in bilstain ( was the practice ground of Eddy Lejeune))

i am used to a honda tlr and a bultaco 350 so i want a bike that is controlebe on the trotlle and that has a lot of steam in low revs whitout being agressive

greets bob

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Brutus,

I am not aware of any heavy flywheel kits for the older motors. You can always retard the ignition for softer low end power (Move the stator plate anti clockwise approx 1mm after marking the original position first). Also, some lads fit extra base gaskets in to soften the compression, you could try fitting an extra 0.5mm thick gasket. Another usefull mod I used to do was to use a D34 needle in the DellOrto carburettor. The standard needle is a D36, the D34 is a little richer at low revs and is my needle of choice for all the bigger Gas Gas motors, 330, 321. It helps with low end control.

Bye, Peter B.

Hello Bert,

Yes you have to remove the flywheel to get to the stator plate. You also need a specific flywheel puller to remove the flywheel. The centre nut is a conventional right hand thread. Be sure to locate the crank woodruff key correctly when refitting the flywheel.

good luck, Peter.

Hi Peter,

Today I borrowed a flywheel puller from our local GG-dealer so I could try some different settings. First thing I noticed was that the previous owner probably tried some things to because there was allready a marking on the plate and housing! First I tried the 1mm retard as you suggested but the bike became even more powerfull (maybe the previous owner put it to early!) so I went for 3mm retard but the effect was not dramatic so I left it at the 3mm later and moved on to the needle. Instead of the d34 you suggested (My GG-dealer didn't have one on stock) I had a look at the setting of the original D36 which was on the lowest position so I moved it up one slot. This had more effect than changing the ignitiontiming so I moved the needle one more step up and now you can feel quite a difference! It's still very powerfull but less nervous at the bottom. So I'll try it this weekend and see how it goes. Do I have to do something with the mixturescrew now I have changed the needlesetting?

Thanks for so far,

Bert

Hi Bert,

Are you sure that you moved the stator plate ANTI clockwise from the original mark (To the left)?

If you are happy with the ignition timing then leave it where it is.

The standard clip setting on the D36 needle is the second clip position from the bottom, which is fine in most cases. The lowest position would give the most fuel rich condition. You can tune in the low end carburation with the pilot screw, which on this carb works on the fuel, not the air so that turning in the screw weakens the mixture (less fuel). Start with this screw turned fully in then unscrew 4 and a half turns and adjust from this point till it feels good for you.

Bye, Peter.

Hi Peter,

Yes I'm a 100% sure that I rotated the plate the right direction, I even gave the kickstarter a push to see what direction the cranck is turning because I know there are engines that turn backwards! So I was puzzled a bit as well :rotfl:. So I'll first give this new setup a try before altering more settings.

Bye,

Bert