Priority Riders

pete

What do you want to know??

Say we have 10 sections, and only 9 observers. Two riders volunteer (or get picked!) to share the same section. One will observe section 10 for the morning, then after the lunch break will 'don the vest (usually one for a pair of riders) and go like a bat out of hell to ride all the sections! The vest allows you to double up when riding the sections, and you can get to the front of every section queue no matter how long it is! There are drawbacks: The lack of consistencey of the observing of that particualar section; The rider who observes in the morning quite possibly gets the worst of the sections after they've all been cut up - while the chap who rides in the morning gets the best!

There are other ad and disadvantages, but this is the system we use as far as I can tell!

Any questions . . . :guinness:

Pete.

My two pennorth. If a club i rode at applied that rule i wouldnt ride there again. If i was the person picked i would observe the section all day. Demand my entry fee refunded and be more than a bit miffed.

I have no problem in observing and do so two or three times a year to "put back in" but the arrangement you mention to me would ruin my ride and i would want no part of it.

The clubs i ride for regularly have a shortage of observers and this usually results in a rider picking up the board and observing a few riders through. Not ideal due to lack of consistency, open to blatant cheeting, getting stuck with the board and to me just is WRONG. Still better than nothing but only just.

Personally i would sooner ride 5 laps of five sections, if thats all the observers you can get, then a lunch break. Start again with another 5 laps of 5 different sections. But thats just my personal opinion.

We have covered this subject many many times and never come to a proper conclusion except that there are never enough observers and it looks like this will not change and may even get worse as riders get older and come on their own.

Riders ride observers observe. Dont know the answer but you have to do whatever works for you. Me i would turn up for more events that i was not interested in riding at as long as i wasnt out of pocket doing so. Then again i'm a tight git but you cant expect people to give up their time and pay for the privaledge so that you can have your fun. Or can you?.

Edited by Old trials fanatic

To me it doesnt sound like a compromise at all but then again everybodys entitled to their own opinion. all i was saying is i would vote with my feet and choose not to ride for a club that applied that rule. My choice. I never said anybody else shouldnt ride under that ruling. Just doesnt get my vote.

I also listed my personal preference along with how things work in my area and how i also believe riders should observe at some time during the year. Just dont like the idea of turning up looking forward to having a ride and then having that ride, IMHO, ruined. To me that would be annoying to say the least. But obviously it works at that club. Good luck to them.

Different people look for different things when entering a trial. If i am competing then i am competing not buggering about. If i am observing i am observing not riding. Dont mind just cant combine the two. Thats me.

Edited by Old trials fanatic

I have to say that I think the system is a good idea, yes it has draw backs for the riders 'observing' but if every rider did this once a year then the shortfall would be covered. Better that than having to give up your ride to observe once a year.

That said, if I was put in that position I would probably just stay on the section and observe all day anyway.

I certainly wouldn't take offence at being asked to do this for my own club.

Our club event last weekend we added $10 to the entry fee, close to 5 quid/ rider, the total then was devided amoung the observers after the event.

Club event over there should get in the reigon of 100 riders, 5 quid each 500 quid, 10 sections, observers get 50 quid each, good incentive to observe.

There will always be the tight bugger who won't want to pay a fiver extra, but in my opinion the observers are worth it.

Sounds a good idea to me. If it guaranteed all sections were observed by competent observers then i would have no problem contributing.

As i said earlier scorpa3 if i am observing then i observe. If i am riding then i ride. If i was the one picked then that is what i would do observe the section all day. however i would be happier to nominate a round where i would observe. There is always a venue that may not be to your taste. Just didnt want my position to be missinterpretated.

Over here in west aus we pay the observers $A10 per day this ensures that we usually have 8-9 sections observed it also ensures we have a pool of excellent observers for those one off special events...

Most trials attract around 50-60 riders and we pay $A10 an event, this sysstem might not work for all areas but were a pretty close knit bunch with only two clubs in an area the size of western europe!!! :rotfl: