Sheared Rear Damping Adjuster

alphadecay

So I took apart the rear end today to regrease everything, etc. While I was at it I decided to soften the rear end a bit and I tried to loosen the compression adjuster towards "soft" and I guess I obviously applied too much pressure and sheared the adjuster apart at the threaded end. So currently I have the screw head in my hand, I can see where it threads into the back of the base of the shock (with the remaining portion of the screw still embedded in there) and I can also see the small nub that the screw must push against to adjust the compression damping. So I have two questions:

1.) Will I have to buy a new shock to fix this issue or has anyone known of any success in removing the embedded threaded portion and replacing the screw with a new one?

2.) Whilst I await a repair or new shock, would it damage the existing shock if I rode on it with that adjuster removed? I plan on covering the hole so no dirt/water can get in there.

Thanks.

--Tim

You said in your original post that you wanted to soften the rear end. Gassers are supplied with the adjuster set to the softest setting. If you sheared it off, chances are your bike was on this setting. Did you try turning it the other way first? Apparently this only alters the high speed settings so you would only notice a difference on big hits and not when the low speed circuits are working, ie bouncing up and down on the bike in the garage. So as your original intention was to soften the rear end it is now at its softest setting albeit that it will have to stay there.

Check here http://d-mis-web.ana.bris.ac.uk/personal/H...g_waterpump.wmv

TooFastTim: I use AlphaDecay as my username cause I have a graduate degree in physics, so its a science type username thing is all.

Jezza: Most everything you said is right. It must have already been full soft so it couldn't loosen anymore. So like you said, the end result doesn't really change anything from where it started. I rode all day sunday with it like that and didn't notice much of anything so it'll probably be ok to leave it as is. After watching that video (which I have on DVD) I kick myself as he discusses the exact issue that I experienced. :thumbup:

--Tim

After watching that video (which I have on DVD) I kick myself as he discusses the exact issue that I experienced.

One to put down to experience, you will be laughing about it in a weeks time after you stop kicking yourself!

It will not have too much of a detrimental effect on the half-life of your bike.