Water In Carb

leroy

was out on my bike over the weekend up charlton and war riding down near the via-duct, i was crossing the river when suddenly the front wheels slipped and the bike went under. i got the bike ticking over but as soon as u reved it a little it wud just stall eventually i got the revs up a lil and got it up in the carpark. i then finally got the bike reving as normal. i got the bike home and cleaned the carb out and flushed the tank out and i put the carb back together and now when i start the bike and leave it ticking over petrol starts pourin out off the over flow, now my bike (montesa cota 311) has 2 float and 1 is is 1/4 and the other is 5/8 and ive tried them both ways and it still put petrol out of the overflow and the floats slide up and down ok and the carb is clean any ideas plzz liam

Sounds like the fuel/shut off needle is dirty or worn causing it not to close the fuel flow off. It usaully only shows on low revs as higher revs tends to get rid of the fuel from the float. Give it a really good clean and check fuel flow/shut off is working with the float bowl off whilst the carb is out of the bike. Easy part to buy and replace.

Edited by Betarev3

One thing that might be worth trying or looking at is the floats. If somehow they have developed a small crack at the join or something a little bit of petrol may have got into them (yet seemingly unoticable) causing them not too rise to where they should and therefore the overflow pipe will p*** water out.

(have seen it once in a bike - very rare)

If that is the case tho keep them in a dry place and try to squeeze it out. When its all owt just super glue the seam, leave it too dry and fit it again.

Or just buy new floats.