What Has Dougie Ever Done For Trials?

cota kid

I have been thinking about the question "what has Dougie ever done for trials" and I would like to turn this question on its head..

Any parent who has an aspiring son/daughter who takes up the sport and who shows good potential is in for a tough EXPENSIVE time. Having experience with the Danby's has shown me what level of dedication is required by the parents to produce and support a good rider. I know for a fact that nearly all disposable income and spare time goes in supporting/maintaining/ traveling to events/ the bike/organizing etc etc and many parents struggle to keep up with it... and all for what? Well I don't really know to be honest.

When you take all the top riders in the world who could win the WTC you could count them on one hand. To get to that level AND win once is incredible. To do it 7 times is remarkable/outstanding/amazing and any other superlatives you can think of. Respect is in order I believe! .. And for all this hard work and dedication Doug gets a working wage which is nothing like a premierships footballers for sure.

So, when a rider and his/her parents have given so much, why oh why do people expect them to give even more? If all Doug has ever done is turn up at a trial, ride his bike and gone home then thats more than enough for me. Just to see him is an inspiration and thats all I feel I am entitled to take and nothing more!

IMHO :lol:

Very nice post Atom!!! It baffles me how some people can ask such silly questions sometimes. Here is a guy, Dougie, that has not only risen to the highest point in his sport, but set records in doing it. All the while carrying himself with a great demeanor and representing the country that is the birthplace to the sport. All the while during his tenure that still continues, inspiring young Brits to believe that they too can acheive the same heights. To that end, I believe that Dougie is only half way through his trials career. Perhaps in the second half he will satisfiy the nay-sayers about his contribution to the sport!

Steve

Edited by Steve Fracy

Everytime Dougie rides a World Round and scores points he is continuing to set an ongoing record. Hopefully this year he will achieve an incredible 100th WTC Round win and that Holy Grail of Trials the 8th Title.

Changing the subject slightly, what do you tell friends etc what you do on sundays.Most people say are you going racing again and however many times you try to explain,,,,,,,well i give up and just say yes.

When I moved into my new house, my golf playing/accountant next door neighbour clocked my bike and said "Do you know Dougie Lampkin then ?"

I thought that was pretty astute coming from a guy who couldn't be further away from the sport.....until I later found out the his Gran was Aurthur Lampkins sister !!!!....small world :D

Martin