What Has Dougie Ever Done For Trials?

cota kid

Further to Eddie Lejeune's posting about Dougie not being an Ambassador for trials got me thinking. Maybe he is right. So despite of EL's failure to further elaborate on this controversial statement, I thought I would.

So apart from

7 consecutive World Outdoor Trials.

5 indoor WTC.

2 Scott Trials.

Nearly a decade of the best trials schools on the planet.

Numerous memorable Sheffield wins.

99 Outdoor WTC Round Wins.

The enormous entertainment he has, and continuous to give trials fans around the World.

What has Doug Lampkin MBE ever done for trials?

Further to Eddie Lejeune's posting about Dougie not being an Ambassador for trials got me thinking. Maybe he is right. So despite of EL's failure to further elaborate on this controversial statement, I thought I would.

So apart from

7 consecutive World Outdoor Trials.

5 indoor WTC.

2 Scott Trials.

Nearly a decade of the best trials schools on the planet.

Numerous memorable Sheffield wins.

99 Outdoor WTC Round Wins.

The enormous entertainment he has, and continuous to give trials fans around the World.

What has Doug Lampkin MBE ever done for trials?

.......created a field of interest that has brought countless new riders to the sport....... :lol:

..NEXT

Edited by Slapshot 3

I came from the 'Steve Saunders' era of trials riding, it was Steve who made me want to give trials a go.

I'm sure there are others of a slightly older generation that would say the same thing about 'Sammy Miller' and others.

But I would make a bet that 'Dougie Lampkin' has motivated more people to take up the sport than any other UK rider ever.

I think an ambassodor is somebody who represents somthing, in this case trials. Did Doug represent trials, did he bring it to the attention of non trials folk ?

he was on You Bet a few years ago

he was on They Think Its All Over

he was on Top Gear a few times

and when i try and explain what I do on a weekend, people have often said who's that british guy who's the best in the world ?

Trials is a minority sport when compared to football for example but I think Dougie Lampkin MBE (suppose that s another example) has done an excellent job purely in terms of getting himself into areas of the media that you wouldnt expect to see him in. I dont think Dave Thorpe, 3 times world MX champ managed to get himself on the box as much.

I used to get asked all the time from the lads at work what's trials, mention the name Dougie Lampkin and the usual responce would be that's them bikes with no seats, i remember the first time i ever went to a world round sometime in the early nineties and watching lampkin in the final section, the atmosphere was amazing and certainly inspired a 10yr old me to get into riding, people might right him off these days but in my opinoin the man is a living legend! :lol:

Changing the subject slightly, what do you tell friends etc what you do on sundays.Most people say are you going racing again and however many times you try to explain,,,,,,,well i give up and just say yes.

Changing the subject slightly, what do you tell friends etc what you do on sundays.Most people say are you going racing again and however many times you try to explain,,,,,,,well i give up and just say yes.

Your quite right there tucker people have a job understanding what trial's is about.

However i just have to come clean and say when im in a pub and get talking to stranger's we get around to talking about what sport we're involved in,i say i do trial's they look at me blank so then i mention dougie lampkin's name and then the penny drops with them,mate i've lost count of how many free drink's i've had bought for me by just mentioning his name.i've earn't instant respect from them just because they think i ride at the same level as doug doe's.

It's great. :lol:

Drag them kicking and screaming to watch and learn........they might get the buzz as well.....

I've noticed that the guy that posts as "Eddie Lejeune" just seems to want to stir things up by being controversial. Not one post of his has ever been constructive.

Or helpful even in the slightest :lol:

Sockpuppet. But who.......? :lol:

Ever seen that tee shirt,"scene,not herd" ? Thing is I dont want to be involved in F1 or football,I enjoy trials for more than one reason.One of them is that the countyside is not full of people,and trials tend to be held in beautiful,unspoilt areas.I say keep quiet and enjoy it !

Btw I also have a great deal of respect for the Lampkin family and Sammy Miller - for their skills,I'd rather they did not need to get involved in media issues.