Aprillia Climber Cutting Out

windlestone

I have an aprillia climber the green and white tank and water cooled with disc brakes. It will start and run but shows a distinct lack of power uphill then after about 30 - 40 minutes it cuts out and refuses to start again.

I've stripped and cleaned carb. and it has a big fat spark i've changed the plug too. :wacko:

I've not had anything to do with aprillias and no one rides one in our centre so any help/suggestions would be appreciated

Try to check the spark immediately when it cuts out.

Don't burn your fingers!

Most problems that take that long to kill a bike are coil related.

The coil heats up and stops working.

You want a blue spark, not yellow.

The only other thing I've seen like this was a bike with a metal in-line gas filter that was resting on the head.

The gas would boil and the bike would die.

It took a while to figure that one out!

I have a 93 climber with the purple tank and yellow shrouds. I've had a bit of engine trouble with mine as well.

Firstly, I cleaned out the carb and saw that the balancer pipe was all perished. I assumed this had to be air tight and replaced it with a new piece of hose. After this it was an exercise in madness trying to set the float level so that the petrol wouldn't puke out of the overflows and still start. Eventually a friend of mine who works at trials bikes for a living put me right and put a small nick in the pipe and reset the float level for me. Voila, running spot on.

Make sure therefore that all the passage ways in the carb are clear, not just the jets.

This past w/e, I took it out for a practice and it would fire for a second or so, then die. It had been running fine when I had last had it out a week before at a UC Trial and hadn't been tampered with since. When I checked the plug it was sparking fine. After arguments with my dad I eventually took his advice that the plug was at fault and changed it for a new one. The bike ran perfectly after this. So just cos a plug sparks at atmospheric pressure. doesn't mean it will in a compressed environment.

Just my tuppence worth, might be no use, hopefully it will be.

. So just cos a plug sparks at atmospheric pressure. doesn't mean it will in a compressed environment.

True!

I assume that spark plugs were once much more expensive than they are now, because Champion used to make a spark plug tester that was a pressurized box with a window so you could check if a plug was firing under compression.

I have seen several plugs that give a fat, blue spark outside the bike, but wouldn't run when installed.