How Do They Do It?

copemech

I understand that Ishy may get homesick, but how many US riders do we have in the Scottish? Ish and Geoff? Do you get a free ride for being from the US? How do you get a bike across the globe, and or what do you do with it when you are done? :icon_salut:

Cope:

Ish will know for sure, but I seem to think back from when I rode the SSDT, that basically anyone from North America that sends an entry in will get to ride.As far as the bike thing goes, there are several different ways to go about it. I took my bike apart into little pieces as luggage for no charge, but in a post 9-11 world that is not possible. I know in the past Ishy has bought a bike from the factory and had it shipped to Scotland, rode it for the week, and then had it shipped back to the states. I'm not 100% sure what his Montesa deal is, but I would guess it is some sort of rental deal. When are you going??

Steve

For the ISDE events US riders will ship there bikes and gear over via sea containers. There is also a bike rental program offered by the major manufactuers. As far as expenses they are on their own. Many of them create their own fund rasiers, ride events, negotiate sponsorships, and t-shirt sales are propular. I sold a 100+ t-shirts for a friend who rode on the US trophy team in Slovakia. Bottom line, if you're not factory sponsored you're responsible for air travel, insurance, lodging, food, spare parts, tires, riding gear, fuel, lubricants, etc.

You forgot Oregon's Dennis Sweeten. He has been qietly doing well at the Scottish for several years. I think his deal is a bike rental from Sandifords. He said the whole package with bike, rooms, food and entry was about $5000.00 per person. According to him it was money well spent. Who that alot of money toget such a thrashing, freeze half to death, eat haggis, and be hungover for a month. I am so jealous! Also some americans have been turned away so they do a fair drawing unless you have some sort of reasonably impressive record or credentials. Very ambiguous who gets past the drawing. It helps to be famous or in the business.

Tried all sorts for bikes the times I have ridden the event, brother would lend me is older bike and sell it on after the event, bought bikes and had them shipped to the event through the importer, this year Dennis is renting three bikes from Sandiford's, then I will pay him in US $, that way only one exchange fee is required, all the UK importers will rent you a bike of choice, and you replace any broken parts on top of the rental, doub't you could ship a bike in the luggage in today's enviroment, and wouldn't try it, in case I got turned away at the gate.

I want to ride a four stroke so I went with the Mont for the SSDT, last year proved it was a good machine for the job, it's an expensive trip, and would be a real bummer to not complete the event due to bike failure.

Because the event is an international event, they do wan't entries from all around the world, but nothing is in stone, and has Jay said, some didn't make the ballot this year.

Booked flight online, $850, hotel will run another $600, entry $600, bike rental $1,000 to $1200 beer token's ???????????????? riding the SSDT priceless :icon_salut:

Tried all sorts for bikes the times I have ridden the event, brother would lend me is older bike and sell it on after the event, bought bikes and had them shipped to the event through the importer, this year Dennis is renting three bikes from Sandiford's, then I will pay him in US $, that way only one exchange fee is required, all the UK importers will rent you a bike of choice, and you replace any broken parts on top of the rental, doub't you could ship a bike in the luggage in today's enviroment, and wouldn't try it, in case I got turned away at the gate.

I want to ride a four stroke so I went with the Mont for the SSDT, last year proved it was a good machine for the job, it's an expensive trip, and would be a real bummer to not complete the event due to bike failure.

Because the event is an international event, they do wan't entries from all around the world, but nothing is in stone, and has Jay said, some didn't make the ballot this year.

Booked flight online, $850, hotel will run another $600, entry $600, bike rental $1,000 to $1200 beer token's ???????????????? riding the SSDT priceless :icon_salut:

And your hand luggage is your comfy seat, or did you leave that here last year?