New To Trials So Whats With All The Yelling!?

aggressivemusick

I used to ride trials many years ago with a Honda TL 125 with a powroll 175 kit on it. It was a cool little bike all be it heavy. I love the new bikes because you do the same stuff on it we do on our bicycles. I ride bicycle trials as well.

Now one thing I'd like to know and maybe I'm stupid here but in the videos I've watch of say Lampkin there's this guy yelling like an idiot to do stuff the rider is already doing. If it were me I'd slap this guy. It would absolutely bug the holy crap out me.

WHAT could this yelling possibly do for the rider but break his concentration. I've watch video after video and all I see is some guy making a total nuisance of himself. I just don't see the point.

Edited by aggressivemusick

The guy doing the yelling is the "minder", basically he is the coach. His job is to make sure the rider is in the correct position, placement of tire, etc.

Yep would drive me completely off the edge too. Also I believe at the world round level of competition those riders definately should be good enough to know where their rear tire is.

I used to ride trials many years ago with a Honda TL 125 with a powroll 175 kit on it. It was a cool little bike all be it heavy. I love the new bikes because you do the same stuff on it we do on our bicycles. I ride bicycle trials as well.

Now one thing I'd like to know and maybe I'm stupid here but in the videos I've watch of say Lampkin there's this guy yelling like an idiot to do stuff the rider is already doing. If it were me I'd slap this guy. It would absolutely bug the holy crap out me.

WHAT could this yelling possibly do for the rider but break his concentration. I've watch video after video and all I see is some guy making a total nuisance of himself. I just don't see the point.

It's typically his dad, Martin Lampkin or Ben Hemmingway doing the yelling. Listen to what they say and you'll find it's pretty useful information - "half tire right" etc... He does exactly that. Wish I could! Might not be such a bad thing having an ex-world champ or somebody on Ben's level yelling info at you. In any event, I suspect it helps Dougie or they wouldn't be doing it.

I actually enjoy watching these guys like Lampkin and his dad work together. I am not that good but when you see the minder yelling to have the tire moved less than a half tire it makes you realize just how precision trials actually is. I am happy when I can keep the bike within the boundaries of the section.

What I want to know(sorry a little OT)...

...what is in that drink bottle that most minders carry and yet never drink from. I watched the world round in the US and I saw more than 1 minder shaking up there drink bottle vigorously and then spray the liquid on the rocks. The 1st time I saw it I thought nothing of it but then when I saw the next 4 world riders through the section spray the same rock in the same place after shaking up the bottle I got a little suspicious.

...what is in that drink bottle that most minders carry and yet never drink from. I watched the world round in the US and I saw more than 1 minder shaking up there drink bottle vigorously and then spray the liquid on the rocks. The 1st time I saw it I thought nothing of it but then when I saw the next 4 world riders through the section spray the same rock in the same place after shaking up the bottle I got a little suspicious.

I've never heard of that before. If they were doing that for some kind of advantage, (why else do it?) then surley that is cheating?

I've never heard of that before. If they were doing that for some kind of advantage, (why else do it?) then surley that is cheating?

I always thought they were washing dirt/mud off the rocks with plain old water. World round minders have cheating down to an artform. It's whatever they can get away with... It's up to checkers and officials to call them on it but they typically get away with a lot - at least they do here in the states.