Pw50!

73anth

I know its not a trials bike, but my 5 year old has got to start somewhere!!!

anyway, got hold of it for free, needs a few bit & bobs, but my main problem is that the kickstart wont engage properly.

9/10 times it will just fly straight round without grabbing.

if you tip the bike to the side, it sometimes engages, & the bike will start.

any ideas anyone???

My lads birthday today and I just got him a PW50 as his first bike, great little starter bike, he had it nailed straightaway in the field this evening, my hearts just about calmed down now. Hope you can get it sorted out quick anth, loads of spares on ebay for them :)

Try pulling in the back brake and then kick it over. :)

i dont think it is a split cable like his lt50 quad(you need rear brake locked on to start as you say mate).

does it do something down the rear of the bike, as the rear brake is shot to bits, cable & pads, will be sorted soon as i know its worth spending the cash on, ie running!!!!

i tidyed it up for a mate about 3 years ago when he bought it, his son has killed it for 3 years, no maintenence!!!

is the 3 way switch on the bars in this order?

off

run

start

thanks for your help chaps ;)

Edited by 73anth

I bought my son an immaculate PW for Christmas - great fun,for him and me ! Yes thats how the switch works and it starts without pulling the back brake,but the switch has to be in the start position or it wont go.

I bought my son an immaculate PW for Christmas - great fun,for him and me ! Yes thats how the switch works and it starts without pulling the back brake,but the switch has to be in the start position or it wont go.

cheers jon

There is a pinion gear on the main shaft behind the clutch. The spring clip has probably broken or come off. To get to it you must remove shocks, exhaust, cables and wires. Then set the frame away from the engine and rear end. It sounds like a big deal, but it isn't. While you have the clutch cover off, check the drive rubbers in the primary gear on the end of the crankshaft. I would just replace them to avoid future hassles.

started my daughter on the PW50 until she could do the clutch, then mnoved to TY80.

Can't help your kick start q, but some other stuff I learned:

PW I had was 1980's model. It had off-Start-Run. In Start, the ignition circuit was modified such that it would not rev up and engage the clutch. In Run, it would not start.

There was an exhaust restrictor washer from new. The idea was to run it until the kid grew, then remove it. It caused a lot of carbon buildup.

Autolube sucked, we removed and did premix. If just disconnected, it still pumps at idle.

Many parts are common to the QT/QJ? scooters/mopeds. Electrical, carbs, all the engine and most of the drive.

With larger wheels, the scooters had lower gearing. Following someone elses advice, I put lower scooter gearing into the PW and it helped a lot. Slower, better climbing, less clutch slipping when used as a 'woods' kids bike. PW had bearings on both sides of axle, scoooter on one side only, so axle itself is different length and would not interchange. I pressed off the ring gear from the scooter, put it on the PW axle. Also changed the pinion gear. I think that took a special tool made from two hex nuts welded together, easy to do. Not very precision, they are simple bevel gears, and dont' run very high speed or very manyhours. Pack the housing half full with grease.

long ago, many good memories. great for kids confidence. The small Hondas are probably great too, just cost a lot more in the usedmarket in those days.

kcj