Adding Base Gaskets To A 290

branc

Hi all

Recently changed from a gas gas txt 280 to a 07 sherco,

On the gas gas I added extra base gaskets which I think really improve traction and made the power less snappy for the novice that I am,

has anyone done this to a sherco and what thickness gaskets would work best?

cheers

Are you finding the 07 not to your liking as standard then? I had an '03 290 and that was snappy but the '07 is really smooth as standard. I too ride novice stuff and I found it a great bike for power delivery and traction :)

Ive recently acquired a 290 and first couple of trials it was great but then i found once it was run in I started to spin it a lot. At the Jack wood I was doing doughnuts all day and getting more annoyed as the day went on.

My last bike was a 300 GG with a kehin carb and initially I thought the sherco was less powerful but I'm not sure now that it is. My view is if your coming off a GG the power of the Sherco is much smoother in its delivery and you dont realise how much power your trying to put down, hence the wheelspin. I think the sherco gives a little less "feedback" than the GG so you need to adjust to that first.

I've done a couple of things to mine now which have made it easier to ride and are a bit simpler than fitting base gaskets.

First of all increase the pilot jet by one size from 33 to 34 (from memory) and lift the needle one notch so that the clip is in the bottom groove.

then retard the ignition timing a touch, i only moved mine the width of the mark on the stator.

if you dont like it you can reverse all of the above, a pilot jet is about

i'm 80:1

i think !!!

i worked it out when i first got the bike , and got a tablet bottle from the chemist .

1 bottle of oil to 4litres of petrol :o

handy to have a fiver and a bottle of oil in my pocket when i go on a sunday tour !!!