Bike Timing

vinnied

Sammy Miller sells them or you can make your own by knocking the centre out of an old spark plug, screw it in the head, find TDC, slide a pencil down it and mark TDC on the pencil level with the top of the plug. Take out pencil, put a mark where the timing should be above the mark you made for TDC (eg 2mm above if your timing should be 2mm BTDC) and you have a home-made timing tool. When the piston is pushing the pencil up through the plug, when the timing mark appears you are 2mm BTDC.

Tool is obviously better though.

Sammy Miller sells them or you can make your own by knocking the centre out of an old spark plug, screw it in the head, find TDC, slide a pencil down it and mark TDC on the pencil level with the top of the plug. Take out pencil, put a mark where the timing should be above the mark you made for TDC (eg 2mm above if your timing should be 2mm BTDC) and you have a home-made timing tool. When the piston is pushing the pencil up through the plug, when the timing mark appears you are 2mm BTDC.

Tool is obviously better though.

Cheers woody

Vinnie

I made one from a plug body and short piece of brass rod, but it wasn't too accurate. Then I added a bracket on top with adjustable set screw. Adjust the set screw so brass pin just touched it at top. Then use feeler gauge to measure gap between screw and pin when piston is down BTC. used it for years. Worked, but tedious.

Splurged on a good dial indicator, 0-1 inch. Took another plug body, bored out, added set screws on sides, and fitted dial indicator into it. Needed an extra long brass screw at the tip of the indicator to reach piston. It just screws in and out of the tip when I use it for this purpose. That works SO much better and faster and more accurate.

Hate spending the money, but do it now and have the tool for life.

The egnition as it stands, this is top dead centre does it look right

Vinnie

Could be wrong,but it looks a bit retarded to me (assuming you have a high comp motor with an r cam). If I remember correctly, a good starting point is to mark a line on the stator on an 18mm chord from the corner of stator coil. Then set the mark on the rotor to this line on top dead. This gives a static advance of 20 deg BTC.

There are PVL set up instructions on tinternet.... google PVL it's 4 or 5 pages in... but it is there some where.