Which Bike For Reliability & Build Quality?

frontroomautos

Hello all, i am about to buy a new trials bike, i have been getting interested in trials over the last couple of years, i am not new to riding off road bikes but i am to trials. Anyway i dont want to part with my hard earned if the quality of build is not of a high standard so at this stage reliability and quality are the top of my list. I dont mind doing the usual top end rebuilds on the 2T, thats just expected maintainance, but i dont want to buy anything that lets me down in areas of the engine that i dont expect to fix and that goes beyond reasonable cost. Basically i dont like the throwaway product theory i would rather pay more for satisfying & enjoyable ownership and build quality. Are trials bikes usually seen as here today but last weeks news tomorrow so to speak or is it possible to own something longer term. Anyway the bikes i like are the Gas Gas 300 pro & Montesa 4RT. I am aware of the character of the two bikes as i have ridden both and like both but i suppose what i am trying to say is this... Am i in for big service bills too often with the 4T or are they built better than that and with the Gas Gas, well lets just say ive heard good and bad about their build quality. I know there is Scorpa (although i have not ridden one) who use the great Yamaha engine and i might opt for this if the feedback isnt good on the Gasser but at this stage i just cant decide. So forget my riding ability in relation to this question its feedback on quality that i would be grateful for, on the other hand if they are all costly to maintain i will have to sell of my other bikes and concentrate solely on trials cheers all...

I ve heard lots of things about lots of bikes breakages and problem wise, but not a bad word about the 4rt? yes they need a little getting used to riding wise from what I heard but never anything about things failing. The monts have pretty much been the top for build quality and the 4rt has been around long enough now for any major faults to show. Personally I would go for the Mont, in my own view the Gassers fall to bits and some do have major problems, if you like keeping on top of your bikes and chucking parts at them get a Gasser they ride the best out of the lot but need looking after and a fat wallet. If I had the money I would buy a Gasser (My favourite bikes) but would only have one if I could afford a duplicate in the van for backup

I ve heard lots of things about lots of bikes breakages and problem wise, but not a bad word about the 4rt? yes they need a little getting used to riding wise from what I heard but never anything about things failing. The monts have pretty much been the top for build quality and the 4rt has been around long enough now for any major faults to show. Personally I would go for the Mont, in my own view the Gassers fall to bits and some do have major problems, if you like keeping on top of your bikes and chucking parts at them get a Gasser they ride the best out of the lot but need looking after and a fat wallet. If I had the money I would buy a Gasser (My favourite bikes) but would only have one if I could afford a duplicate in the van for backup

Thanks, it doesnt surprise me i guess ive heard people say that the gasgas build quality is bad. They should sort it out really , i have the mont in the forfront of my mind and the gasser in the back. As you say build quality from what ive heard allot of people steer away from buying them for this reason and opt for beta but i must say that the monts build quality is nice its a lovely bike to own i would of thought.

You haven't mentioned the sherco, in my opinion, very close to the gasser in characteristics, but better build quality.

Are Sherco's better build quality than Gassers?

I had a new Sherco a few years back and it was very poor. The experience put me off ever since.

I do,nt want to start a MINES BETTER THAN YOURS !!! thread, just my own views for what their worth -05 290 -oil change every month - top quality 2st oil - check/clean air filter every ride = no breakdowns/problems in the 2 years of owning it and still looking good.

With the 4RT though, if you maintain it with regular oil and filter changes with good oil, check valve clearences as per the book the engine is near bulletproof, i think the past scottish's have proven this. I had a cabastany sherco before I got my 4RT and i was shocked at the build quality.

I will say though that my last GasGas ( 2000 280 TXT ) was good and with regulat maintenance i never experienced any problems although i am led to believe that the pro does have its drawbacks, If i was in your position just now i would pick the 4RT, it might seem biased considering i have one but until you own one, you wont realise how GOOD they actually are!! ;)

Thanks i am seriously considering the 4RT as the build quality is the best out of choice so it seems, I dont mind adjusting valves and changing oil & filters/air filter cleaning etc... but i dont want to know a 4 T if they are known to need rebuilds etc... i would rather stick to the 2T in that respect but it does appear that overall build quality is excelent as i would expect especially from Honda and therefore it might well be the way to go. I understand the engine is derived from the CRF motocross/enduro engine-when these first came out i read that they ate valves but i understand that its been corrected now. My road bike is a BMW R1150 GS adventure and most my off road bikes have all been XR600's/650 so you can see how i favour durability. Having said that i know that when it comes to pushing the boundaries of competition i do realise that what you gain in lightness and winning potential is mostly harder to match with durability. While i have enjoyed competition in other bike sports at certain times i also like to ride and enjoy for my own purposes so i can understand why some might say that if you are looking for bullet proof bikes the chances are that you wont be competetive against say a relatively high maintainance much more powerful & lighter bike but its all relative and i just want to enjoy outdoor trials at my leve, i have no illussions of being the next DL (its a bit late now anyway ho ho ho). Anyway quality was the question and i think i am reaching my conclusion, thanks for sharing the thoughts .

No disrespect but I think the 4rt is not going to hold you back in the sections. Too many newcomers buy a big trick bike and spend many month fighting it, then get disillusioned and pack in. (I know, I have done a lot of coaching over the last few years)

Buy something soft and ride-able, 4rt with soft program or Beta 200!!!( i think Betas are up with the best quality wise)

I have had Mont's for last 9 years, 2nd hand 315s, 1 new 315 and a s/hand 05 4rt. I can't fault Montesa (Honda) build quality. I think this is true on and off road. I know when I bought mine this year second hand from Sandifords they said they had only sold 1 piston for a 4rt after selling approx 1,000 bikes. Maybe Bull S***t but I'm not sure.

Hope this helps

No disrespect but I think the 4rt is not going to hold you back in the sections. Too many newcomers buy a big trick bike and spend many month fighting it, then get disillusioned and pack in. (I know, I have done a lot of coaching over the last few years)

Buy something soft and ride-able, 4rt with soft program or Beta 200!!!( i think Betas are up with the best quality wise)

I have had Mont's for last 9 years, 2nd hand 315s, 1 new 315 and a s/hand 05 4rt. I can't fault Montesa (Honda) build quality. I think this is true on and off road. I know when I bought mine this year second hand from Sandifords they said they had only sold 1 piston for a 4rt after selling approx 1,000 bikes. Maybe Bull S***t but I'm not sure.

Hope this helps

Thanks Jimmy, thats a sound bit of advise with substance, although i have enjoyed many years on enduro bikes i know that trials is a different discipline all together. I dont take your comment disrespectfully its a fact that allot of people in all bike disciplines come in as a new commer and over bike themselves thinking it will help them do better but often are dissilusioned. Your advice sounds right for me, thats one other reason i thought the 4RT would help me as it seemed forgiving. Also thanks for the feedback on the build quality that is impressive if what Sandifords said is accurate. I hope i aint considered too old to get to grips with a new biking discipline at 38-I hope my time on enduro will have some transferable skills, it didnt seem alien when i had a go on trials bikes - different concept thats all, having said that im bound to embarrass meself but i just enjoy riding off road bikes so i wont be leaving with my tail between my legs and head down as its all par for the course, but then again i might impress myself-funs the main point for me cos from my experience in klife if you dont enjoy something you'll never improve, cheers