Manx 2 Day

sy250

Riding the Manx this year and thinking of camping.

Wondering if anybody could recommend a place who has ridden the event before.

Many thanks

I would give the Glen Dhoo campsite a miss. Stayed there last year and it wasn't that special in my opinion.

Using a different one this year can't remember the name. Don't know what its like but I will post the details later.

There's one right at the back of the paddock that looks handy. Crawl out of bed and on to the bike. No idea what it's like though?

Someone will chirp up soon, just thought I'd throw that one in for discussion.

I like the sound of that one?

Maximum sleeping time :D

That one is closed to the public during the TT and Manx GP so I am led to believe, so that is a no go. I found the one we have booked on ukcampsite.com or something like that.

The one we have booked is Glenlough campsite. It is in the village of Union Mills which is apparently not very far from Douglas, and according to the website there is a pub within 10 mins walk :thumbup:

the website address is glenloughcampsite.com

As I said in the last post I don't know how good it is though as I haven't been there. It looks ok in the pictures, but the one we stayed in last year looked good in the pictures.

Apparently there is a fantastic one in Peel, but it's to far from the start for me as we wont have any transport over there. Our bikes will be in a van, and the van driver is staying in a Bed and Breakfast!

I like the sound of that one?

Maximum sleeping time :D

The one we have booked is Glenlough campsite. It is in the village of Union Mills which is apparently not very far from Douglas, and according to the website there is a pub within 10 mins walk :thumbup:

the website address is glenloughcampsite.com

As I said in the last post I don't know how good it is though as I haven't been there. It looks ok in the pictures, but the one we stayed in last year looked good in the pictures.

I think Glenlough is pretty close to the first lot of sections on day 1, or maybe just before them. If so, I'd imagine it's about a mile from Union Mills. The pub will be the Railway I think, which I think is the one that the purple helmets do the donuts in during one of their vids.

I've been in it, but funnily enough I don't remember much of it. I'd imagine it's a 10 minute ride to the start from there.

Hopefully the manx boys will chirp up and confirm things. Shame about that camp site behind the paddock - would be worth checking if there's any way of getting in to that one. You may have to enter the Manx GP :lol:

Edited by bikespace

Spot on Bikespace, the Glenlough campsite is right next to the first group on Saturday. No practising!!!

It' on the TT course at approx 4 miles out. 10 min walk to the pub, more like 20 mins, and all downhill on the way there which means all uphill on the way back!

Didn't know that was the case with the campsite at the grandstand, however makes sense as lots of the racers for the Manx Grand Prix stay up there now.

Glen Dhoo doesn't have the best rep. from what i've heard.

Struggling to think of any other campsites that are close enough.

Any other questions, let me know.

:D

Try Glen Wyllin campsite at Kirk Michael. It's just over 13 miles out. In my opnion the best campsite on the island. Right next to the beach in a picturesque glen. Pub and shops in the village (5 min walk from the site)

I dont know if st johns fc will be open then, should be. its about 5/6 miles past glen lough with a pub under 5 mins walk/stagger/crawl away (were 2 but the farmers shut)

my front garden may be available for a large fee. 10'x10' if that:D

Also no rider list yet any 1 in uk got around no 18 on solos just to see who i can get lost i mean help out with the manx roads :beer:

Glen wyllin is a possibility there is also i think 1 in ramsey somewhere but the distance from douglas would require an early morning. early morning + beer all night = hmmm :D

hope i was more help than hinderance....

Just spoke to the bloke at Glen Dhoo. He says they'll be open over that period. Worth giving him a ring.

Link HERE

I've really no idea what it's like. Definitely not any where near as scenic as Kirk Michael if that's what you're after, but very close to start. Fair walk down to the town mind.

I didn't know about the one at Nobles Park, up near the hospital. I'd imagine there's not much near it, but again need a local view on that one. That one's out the same direction as Glenlough, along the TT course past quarter bridge, then take a right at Braddan Bridge. I'd imagine Union Mills would be better positioned.