Are Swm Trials Bikes Ahrma Legal?

biffsgasgas

SWM's are not AHRMA legal because they are newer than the cutoff date, which is 1979 or older. AHRMA also rejects Can-Am, Italjet, Garelli Honda Reflex etc all on the same grounds. Recently it came up for a vote and the board rejected changing it to "or like design". These newer bikes would render TY 250's etc obsolete, as they did back when they were introduced. AHRMA also rejected a motion to have an "evolution class" for these bikes because they said it would make building challenging sections too difficult. They are trying to keep vintage trials vintage, especially for old British machines such as BSA etc. The organizers of AHRMA had a vision they are trying to stick to, which I find admirable. Dick Mann has gotten alot of criticism for his unbending pursuit of his dream, showing us younger folks what motorcycle sport was like in the earlier days. It is his vision we are all experiencing. When his day is passed, we will begin to see someone else's vision of what it should be. Until that time it's best to just play the game.

Thanks Jay thats what i needed to know. I respect the cut off date I was just checking for my own knowledge.

See you at mid ohio if your comming this year. Go team hodaka...

Team Greeves might have to wear tux's to one up the whole dress shirt thing.... hahaha

--Biff

Martin, that Red SWM is pure sex! I wanted one so bad in 1978, but my deal with the US importer was reneged on by John Taylor at the last minute in a sneaky underhanded move that gave my bike to Californian, Jeff Fish at the last minute. I was so upset that I quit trials riding for six months then bought a nice 1971 Bultaco Model 49, which I rode in several big events at that time. I suspect if you showed up with one of those Red SWM's at an AHRMA event now, someone would pitch a fit.

Unfortunately I will not be at Mid Ohio this year. Last year was a one time deal paid for by Strictly Hodaka. I was brought in as a ringer. It would have been embarrassing to not win, given the circumstances. I was very relieved to go home the winner with my reputation intact. Since then my living situation has changed and I have even less money to finance my motorcycle pursuits. Go kick some butt with that Greeves! Let us know how you do, ok?

Will do.

I won premier light weight expert last year but i have no clue how. Silly shifter and brakes on the wrong sides.

My dad loves the things and its a trip to ride.

Keep it on the pegs and see you in the future.

--Biff

It's a real shame that AHRMA doesn't see fit to promote vintage trials to it's fullest.

They are missing quite a bit by not allowing the early eighties twinshockers to compete.

They certainly have no problem doing so with motocross. In MX theres a class for everything.

BTW, Introducing the newer era of vintage trials bikes won't necessarily make the earlier TY's, RL's, Bul's and Tesa's obsolete. It's still the rider that has to get the job done.

Besides, if we are so intent on duplicating the vintage experience than WHY are we (myself included) all using 2 ply radial tires?????

Now thats an interesting thought, 1970's bike technology OK, 1985 tire technology really OK..............

Bryan

swms are ahrma legal.there were 15 imported into the usa pre 1979.#1 thru #15..i know cause i have #15. the ahrma guys can`t say anything about them because the year and #s are stamped on the headstay..as for the rider being the major factor i`ll put my swm head to head with any year twin shock drum braked bike...even the honda 4 strokes...brian...johnnyb

Hey JohnnyB,

SO.....

You'll put your SWM head to head with any twin shocked, drum braked bike...even the 4 stroke Hondas.

I dunno if thats a safe bet. History has shown that the thumper will prevail.

Remember that fellow by the name of Eddy Lejeune?? :beer:

Bryan