Bike Weight Limit -why Not

jimmyl

Here is a thought I have had for a while.

Why not have a bike minimum weight limit for trials bikes.

Reason

4 strokes are heavier but supposed to be better(greener), to get them to weigh less involves shedding metal in the design or using fancy alloys etc

2 strokes are becoming so light that they fall to bits etc etc!!!!

A minimum weight limit of say 3kgs or 4kgs heavier than say a modern 4rt would maybe help reduce cost of the bikes and possible allow a little extra weight to be put into silencing them. 2 strokes then could be made a little stronger hence reduce running cost!

Would be easy to police with a simple set of scales.

A slightly heavier bike might also reduce the ever increasing severity of sections. (unless it falls on you)

Just a thought!!!!!!!!!!!

Only 2 problems with that (well there probably more)

1st, why should a 16st rider be discriminated against, same bike 1 rider weighs 16st, 1 weighs 8st, which performs better. A fair way is bike and rider combined.

2nd, where are most clubs going to get a set of scales that will weigh a bike, where they going to keep them and who brings them to the trial, once they get there then you have to find a flat piece of land to put them on.

I do like the idea though, but it would only really work in big events, that could have the facilitys.

It would change a lot in the pre 65's though, set a weight limit near to what it actualy was back in those days that might stop all the trick bikes that bear no real relation to a genuine pre 65 bike.

it works for all other forms of compititon and no scales. if the manufacturer of the bike makes it to meet the weight limit thats all that needed. now when you talk about a national or world round what would it add but just a scale. they already have a tech inspection at these events?

mx, sx all have wiegth requirments but on the amatuer level it makes no difference. also the issue of rider weight is Irrelevant also as we don't worry about that now do we?

also i don't think the idea is for exsisting bikes but future bikes to reduce the climbing cost and expense of the new bikes to come.

my opinion is that 4t aren't green, they burn motor oil no matter how slight. motor oil was not meant to be be in the air or water. the new 2 stroke oil is much more enviro friendly to air and water and with the ratio that trials bikes run not really much of a problem as one might think.

fun topic to think about

rob

also the issue of rider weight is Irrelevant also as we don't worry about that now do we?

No we dont, but if the weight of the bike was to be fixed then rider weight becomes an important part doesnt it?

I suppose they would just start making bikes with more power for larger riders. The new 'Beta Rev 7' comes in 2 versions, the standard and the extra power 'fat boy' version lol.

also the issue of rider weight is Irrelevant also as we don't worry about that now do we?

No we dont, but if the weight of the bike was to be fixed then rider weight becomes an important part doesnt it?

I suppose they would just start making bikes with more power for larger riders. The new 'Beta Rev 7' comes in 2 versions, the standard and the extra power 'fat boy' version lol.

At club level it wouldn't make a jot of difference (unless the minimum weight was VERY heavy of course.) I'm a bloater and I certainly don't need any extra power, I can't use 50% of what I've got now! :banana2:

Sooo if it was bike and rider combined there would be problems. A really light person may not be able to manage a bike that is so heavy on some of the tricky obstacles???!!!
I like the idea of all the skinny blokes riding KLR650s :banana2:

I don't think we need to go down the horse racing or F1 route of combined weight, just the standard bike weight would do. However thinking further we could adopt the horse racing handicap idea. Chuck a bag of cement on Toni Bou's back might make things a bit more equal at the moment. Te He !!!!!!!!