Ahrma Rules?

alan_nc

Group,

Can someone tell me why AHRMA has the rule that you can not come to a dead stop in the middle of a section? Doesn't matter if you keep you feet on the pegs, it's still a 5. If there is a good reason for it, fine, if not how about if we submit a "rules change request".

Comments?

Alan

Group,

Can someone tell me why AHRMA has the rule that you can not come to a dead stop in the middle of a section? Doesn't matter if you keep you feet on the pegs, it's still a 5. If there is a good reason for it, fine, if not how about if we submit a "rules change request".

Comments?

Alan

Why do you want to stop? Old rules are about developing the skills needed to work out a smooth, flowing, path through the section, and then ride it. To the vintage pureist, stopping, hopping, and bopping around are not riding. Granted, those are skills too, but so is a pogo stick.

Brian is correct. Stopping and hopping didnt become the norm until the mid 80's. Rules allowed stopping and hopping back then because it was not easy. As the bikes evolved in the late 80's and early 90's hopping backwards became the norm because it was a challenge but once the skill was mastered it be came over done. In 92 in a world round i watched a guy make 6 attempts at a hill by backing up. It took about 10 mins for him to get through the section. That is when they started to implement time limits. Eventually it was still a free for all being able to hop all day long forwards sideways what ever. Stick with the the basics of the bike erara. If your going to contest prepared to get shot down.

--Biff

Biff/Brian,

Your points are well put. I don't want to bunny hop or back up (I'm not good enough), but I do tend to stop and look at what the next challenge is. It truly was just something I didn't understand and had noted that "modern" trials allow.

Have no interest in changing any rules, that fit and work.

Hope to see everyone at Marion or Mid-Ohio.

Alan

I do tend to stop and look at what the next challenge is.

Proverbial "nail on the head". Stopping is stopped, and riding is riding. Again, from the pureist standpoint, part of the skill is being able to work out a smooth, constant, flow through the section. Personal opinion is that modern trials should be the same.