Beta Rev3 Running In

lacho

Hello again, my shiney barrel just got back from langcourt after they removed the deep gouges left in it by the piston, and so i now have all the parts to put together the bike again. I was just wondering if anyone could recomend tips for running the new piston in, i.e. time and rev limit? Also anytihng i should be checking as i reassemble? The bike is a 2000 250cc rev3. Thanks for any help :thumbup:

make sure you smear the bore of the fresh barrel with 2 stroke oil when re assembling,so its not running unlubed for the first few turns,and as stated above dont over rev it,be gentle for a while.once its run in,always allow the engine to warm up properly before you give it some stick!

Run it in using more oil at a mix of 100/1 and take it steady not screwing it for 5 tanks full! I was told this by john lampkin when i got my new bike

More oil I would agree with but surely 100:1 is a lot less? I would try 50:1 for about 3 full tanks then start working your way back too 75:1

Before you re assemble it check the clearence on the piston skirt with the piston level with the base of the liner. It should be between 1 and 2 thou. If its 3 or more send it back as it will be rattling in no time, 3 to 4 thou is the wear limit. If you run your new piston in a barrel thats too big you may damage the new piston.

To be honest just dont go mad on the throttle and you will

be fine you don't really need to run in as such on modern

engines the materials and clearances are such now,it is

not like years ago! My bike was new straight out of

the crate and off up to scotland no running in there

and she's fine!

Hi Lacho.

I would run a mix of 50:1 Mineral for a couple of tanks. I had my first brand new bike recently, and did this, even though I was assured by the dealer that each new bike is dyno'd before shipping I still treated it like a new engine (Like yours :thumbup: ). I ran about 10L (3 tanks) of 50:1 Motul Mineral oil (I think it might have been castor based?) though before I used my usual 75/80:1 Synthetic mix.

I am happy with mine, runs well with good power and compression.

Hope all goes well for you, whatever you do :thumbup:

Cheers, Chris.

Thank you all very much for your help, i will take all this into account :thumbup:

I hope to be reassembling it tomorrow after school and i will get back to you if there are any problems.

Thanks again, Lachlan.