Rev3 Clutch Fluid Refill

oakworth jon

I have replaced the front brake and clutch master cylinders on my Beta Rev 3 which required draining the fluid.

After re-assembly and re-filling the brake bled through fine (eventually) but I can't get the clutch sorted.

I am using the traditional pipe/bottle method and seems to work at first with plenty of air bubbles coming through.

After a short time I have clear fuid with no further air bubbles, but after locking off there is no pressure on the lever and no clutch.

I am pretty inexperienced at this (I have bled bikes before but not when they have been totally drained) and would welcome any advice.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a trick with this bike that I need to learn?

Thanks.

You could try back bleeding the system using a large syringe. This is the best way to fill the system so that any bubbles rise with the fluid, rathe than perhaps getting trapped somewhere. When you bleed conventionally it is possible to push a bubble along the tube, but between pumps of the lever it may slowly move back up the hose.

Also, check things like the adjustment of the lever such as the sonnecting bar which pushes the plunger.

Bob

If it is a complete re-fill there could well be an air bubble in the system and this ruins any action. Tapping the reservoir and at clutch end with a spanner and also mid bleed lock off bleed nipple and pump the lever a few time. Then continue bleeding. This can often dislodge any trapped air and hey presto, a clutch that works...

Back bleeding is also a good idea- undo the bleed nipple, remove reservoir cap and have something to catch fluid as it overflows the reservoir. You can then gradually just inject fluid and it pushes the air out.

Good luck

Mil

i have a great tool for back bleeding both brakes and clutches, its a syringe with a small length of pipe and a bleed nipple attatched. i think its a KTM special tool and i am sure i bought it online from a KTM dealer. all you doo is fill the syringe , screw the nipple onto the caliper and push fluid through to the top, works every time. i am sure i have seen similar tools on ebay for a fraction of the cost, hope this helps. regards. paul. :D