Can Anyone Confirm?

legend

Hi folks,

I heard a rumour that 2007 will be the last year that Scorpa produce the SY 250, with the four stroke being the only 'large' model to be sold. Does anyone know if this is true? I hope this is not the case! I am a fan of the Scorpa & can have no compliants about my trusty SY at all. I have not tried the four stroke, but to be honest none of the current crop of four strokes have impressed me greatly so far. Why not keep the formula the same & keep churning out exactly the same model year after year. If it aint broke....

Cheers

That dosent sound like a very good idea! I cant imagine that Scorpa would drop such a great model as the SY250, If they do I will be trading my 03 in for one of the last ones.

Perhaps they've run out of different colours to paint he frame, so they can't make a 2008 model?

I can't imagine Scorpa dropping the SY at this point......in the US most riders are still on 2 strokes.........the last 2 events I attended, there were only 2 4-strokes (Montesa). The dominant bikes were 2 stroke GG pros and Beta's....and only SY250 Scorpa's.........didn't see one 250 4 stroke in the lot.........only a couple of SY175's........

Scorpa 3.........certainly powder coating comes in at least a few more colors.........hahahahaha...........

I can't imagine Scorpa dropping the SY at this point......in the US most riders are still on 2 strokes.........the last 2 events I attended, there were only 2 4-strokes (Montesa). The dominant bikes were 2 stroke GG pros and Beta's....and only SY250 Scorpa's.........didn't see one 250 4 stroke in the lot.........only a couple of SY175's........

Scorpa 3.........certainly powder coating comes in at least a few more colors.........hahahahaha...........

Yeah, they could do a psycodelic flourescent pink frame and wheels.. would look good with polished yolks, swing arm, footrests etc :o

Yeah, they could do a psycodelic flourescent pink frame and wheels.. would look good with polished yolks, swing arm, footrests etc :o

NOOOO!! its not a sherco!!

Check out the british championship results and its still spot the 4 stroke!!! and a few riders in our club (SDMC) have gone back to 2t power!!, dont get me wrong im not saying 4t is poo, i have only ridden the little scorpa and the 4rt and they were both lovely bikes i would be happy to have either in my garage, but these are guys that CAN ride ! you pays yer money!

Edited by lastplacebrad

Rumour it may be, but the cost of the unit from Yamaha is very expensive and it may be that it has just got two much to afford.

The fourstroke isn't that a current motor being produced for enduro anyway, so might even be half the cost to buy?

Scorpa being the smallest factory might be looking at it from a financial survival position?

Rumour it may be, but the cost of the unit from Yamaha is very expensive and it may be that it has just got two much to afford.

The fourstroke isn't that a current motor being produced for enduro anyway, so might even be half the cost to buy?

Scorpa being the smallest factory might be looking at it from a financial survival position?

You are probably spot on. I don't think the 2-stroke gets used anywhere else, other than by Scorpa. Given the engines age, there are probably tooling issues, etc. that require ongoing investment for a relativly small run of engines. But, as you say, the 4-stroke shares the majority of it's components with the current YZ & WR engines. The costs are spread across a lot more units, and shared by Yamaha for use in their models. The financial difference, to Scorpa, between the 2-stroke & 4-stroke is probably significant.

Prior to the 2007 models, I know that the distributors were asked if they would "like" to continue the 2-stroke for "one more year". I don't have any insight into what was communicated this year.

You are probably spot on. I don't think the 2-stroke gets used anywhere else, other than by Scorpa. Given the engines age, there are probably tooling issues, etc. that require ongoing investment for a relativly small run of engines. But, as you say, the 4-stroke shares the majority of it's components with the current YZ & WR engines. The costs are spread across a lot more units, and shared by Yamaha for use in their models. The financial difference, to Scorpa, between the 2-stroke & 4-stroke is probably significant.

Prior to the 2007 models, I know that the distributors were asked if they would "like" to continue the 2-stroke for "one more year". I don't have any insight into what was communicated this year.

Do Scorpa make their engine components in-house?

Pretty much all yam bought in I think.

Yup, they are Yamaha engines............. Does anyone know if it is the same basic engine with different porting/heavier flywheel as the YZ250 motocross bike? It looks pretty much the same to me. The YZ250 is a popular bike in the US to convert for GNCC and enduro. I'm not sure about overseas but I just don't see that many 4 stroke trials bikes yet.......I know a guy who's a Montesa dealer and he just bought himself a brand new 2 stroke Sherco.............