Preload

lpd

I recently picked up a 2000 TXT250 with about 3 hours of riding on it, the rest was storage. Engine runs like a top no problems. I noticed the rear suspension seems somewhat stiff after the first 1/3 of travel. Its ok when you push on the seat base, but as soon as I stand on it, it seems as if my body weight takes up the shocks travel and its stiff from that point onwards. Any ideas? I thought maybe too little preload...or a binding part? All of the linkage looks great and I can't see any binding on it.

I recently picked up a 2000 TXT250 with about 3 hours of riding on it, the rest was storage. Engine runs like a top no problems. I noticed the rear suspension seems somewhat stiff after the first 1/3 of travel. Its ok when you push on the seat base, but as soon as I stand on it, it seems as if my body weight takes up the shocks travel and its stiff from that point onwards. Any ideas? I thought maybe too little preload...or a binding part? All of the linkage looks great and I can't see any binding on it.

Did you ever get your suspension questions ironed out? I ride a 2001 TXT280 and would be interested to hear what you found.

I had a similar case to this some years back with a friends bike. It was one of the linkage bearings that had rusted up. Strip out all of the linkage bearings and have a look, it's worth the time to grease these too with a waterproof type grease, or renew as necessary. Also check the 50mm long bush in the swinging arm, some of the older ones used to fracture. Failing this, the problem would be with the shock.

Bye, PeterB.