Thinking About A New Helmet

ridgrunr

Guest Yamaha_dude

Hi Young girl Sunter

Are you Katy?

i dont know if you know me im Richard Longstaff (Percys son!!!) dunno if you know him eitha!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Yamaha_dude

if you are Katy (which im 99% sure you are then are you goin to the trial on sunday?

Maybe a bit to hard for me lol

Ok, so I decided to order the Xpeed Capella. Everywhere I looked on the net all they seemed to come in silver, titanium, black or blue. I really wanted something white as the colored helmets soak up too much Utah desert sun heat. Then I stumble on this site called J&D Walter and they have white ones advertised. So I give them a call, and the guys says they have a medium white in stock, but instead of $65.99 like it says on the net, it's $55.99. Hot damn! So I ordered it. Cost $8.00 to ship it.

It came four days later, from New York. Sure enough it's actually white. Looks neat, has good lines and great vision. It's lighter than the Shoei or the Bieffe. Has vents and a ventilated interior. The ear pocket is big enough that when I put it on I don't have to reach in and tuck my ears in. I ALWAYS had to do that with the Bieffe and the NZI. It's a little snug fitting, but maybe I was used to the loose fitting Bieffe that was constantly rolling forward on my head on the big drop offs so I would have to push it back.

I wish it had a quick connect chin strap, but it didn't. Does now though as I abscounded with the one off the Bieffe before it went into the dumpster (I got to looking close at the rock gouge and it had some ugly star cracks radiating from the impact point, so it was toast anyway)

The interior is really soft. Feels real comfortable and fits fine. I'll wear it in the meet next week and see how it works. Doesn't smell like the old Bieffe either!! :D:lol::lol:

Guest Yamaha_dude

yeh mine has a quick release too,

plus at y local sherco, beta dealer they had red, blue, silver, black and white! Not to brag or anything!

Only problem is i wish it had graphics on the side but thats a little picky when its such a great helmet and only cost

Howdy,

I just bought a Bell Tracker helmet that they market for ATVs and trials.

TrkStrp.jpg

It is a beautiful helmet and I got it for a very good price: $61.95. My only complaints are that it is a little heavy, and the shell they use for the medium is so large it looks like a spacehelmet on me. The styrofoam padding looks like it is about an inch thick! For ATV riding I think it would be great, but for trials type riding with all the moving around and turning, I am not quite that satisfied. I am considering a new helmet, and I have looked at the NZI polycarbonate.

I have one issue about trials helmets that I would like to ask the group? Do the trials specific helmets allow you to lift your head to see forward? When I ride standing on the pegs, I am bent in a such a manner that I have to bend my neck backwards very far to see forward. My Bell helmet comes down so far in back that it restricts me from looking up very far at all. The NZI looks like it might be cut in back in such a way that head movement is not restricted. Is the Xpeed Capella any better at this? Is this a problem for anyone else?

Could anyone shed a little light on this subject for me?

Many thanks,

Larry Stephens

Grand Prairie, TX

Larry Stevens of Texas: If you are forced to ride with your neck bent in an uncomfortable fashion there is more to be concerned about than just your helmet choice. It sounds as if you may be taller in stature and possibly riding a bike that is not set up properly for a tall rider. The bikes in the '80's generally were setup this way with high footpegs and low bars which set the rider in this neck pinching position. The solution to these ergonomic problems lies in higher bars and lower footpegs. Newer bikes are generally closer to the ideal. Ironically the older bikes like the '74 class of trials machines have a more ideal layout with lower pegs and higher bars which position the rider in a more comfortable and effective position. One way to raise handlebars on some bikes is with an additional set of bar clamps and longer bolts with two lower clamps stacked up together to raise the height of the bars. This however won't work on bikes with layed back clamps found on earlier Bultacos for example. It seems it's getting hard to find taller bars these days. Also on some bikes like the '80's TY machines it helps to lower the footpegs a bit. Many riders of older machines are well versed in this method of improving the horrible ergonomics of these machines. Don't know if any of this applies to you, but it's just what came to mind reading you comments about neck pain. Good luck and thanks for listening. Jay L