Tl 125 Help Please

oceanvibe

All the honda engines are basically compatible for parts.

Fot the electronic ignition it is better to buy a scrap engine with the bits on from a road or trail bike XL CB etc and then swap over what is required.

You can pick them up for around a hundred and have loads of other spares to boot.

There's a bit of caution here. Use the wrong points eccentric and you'll have a weak spark.

It's designed for a bike with a battery. CB motors have the stators on the outside of the flywheel,

XL's and TL's are on the inside under the flywheel. TL cam's are shorter and ground different than motors

with CDI. One piece or two piece heads. Gearing different, splines on the crank different. Taper on the crank....

Cases for the 185 and 200 changed.

As far as the exhaust, I love the Sammy Miller one. If you have a K1 you'll need to shorten it. Sounds sweet and works great. After I installed mine I haven't had the coughing problem. Knock wood.

Well I thought that it was all to good to be true. Any ideas why the bike is eating plugs. Hae gone through 4 plugs in about 3 -4 hrs of run time. As you all know I am running a DR8ES-L, will the resistor cause this, it shouldn't but old bikes are ***** The plugs are still running sooted up even after yee ha at the trial. Strange as the plug ran great all day then just chucked it. Tried a BP5ES to ckeck spark and it was very good. Should I try to get a D7/6ES as the are a bit hotter. Anyway thats all for npw but I'm sure there will be loads mor.

• 2 weeks later...

At last !!!! The old bike is running sweet as a nut. The ignition timing was out by about 3 degrees, I made a Sammy Miller type exhaust out of the old can that was on it with new pipe, put header tape round the pipe as it passes the carb and made a heat sheild that goes round the carb not just in front, change the air screw, dropped the neddle right down and run a D7EA. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your input in helping me out qand I know I will be back when the next thing crops up, oh the joys of old bikes.