Help Promote Trials

Im not really getting it. I thought my quick letter was pretty good.

motofire, do you see any difference between the two statements "The editor seemed mildly interested" and "your publication holds little interest"?

If not, then yeah, you really aren't getting it.

Thanks for writing the letter though, it probably lit a fire under her and she now knows that this is bigger than just little Elkhorn, WI.

Oh yeah I see the light now....LOL, I guess it was a little aggressive. I dropped out of my creative writing class for a reason. :wub:

Ah, the penny drops. I would have tried something like:

"What Pat Smage has achieved is incredible. Competing in a sport dominated by europeans, he raised his bar without the benefit of direct exposure to their abilities and training techniques. Essentially Pat has risen to world championship level or just under world championship level IN COMPLETE ISOLATION. Pat is the first rider of this calibre to emerge from the US in over 20 years.

Pats achievement could be comparable to a local high school athlete having competed in nothing but local district track meets winning an international athletics race at his first attempt without the benefit of a suitably experienced coach.

The feats achieved by riders of Pats level have to be seen to be believed. Riding a motorcycle up an 6" high vertical wall without the benefit of either run-up or a ramp to assist is routine"

IMO, bringing in IRAQ is disingenious. I'm not knocking your troops contribution in this regard but it really has nothing to do with Pats achievement.

Oh yeah, how Pat achieved this riding IN A BARN FOR 6 MONTHS OF THE YEAR blows my mind.

Craig, have you approached Cycle News? I would imagine they're bleeding for a good "Yank comes good on world stage" story seeing that Haydens having a miserable year.

Sorry Scorpa 'bout the Tony Blair thing but I'm pleased you "enjoyed" the irony.

Edited by TooFastTim

IMO, bringing in IRAQ is disingenious. I'm not knocking your troops contribution in this regard but it really has nothing to do with Pats achievement.

Fine...agreed! Back on topic.

How about that Pat Smage. That kids got some serious talent. I really hope that he gets some support both now and future to continue copmeteing against the best.

TooFastTim Posted Yesterday, 07:01 PM

Riding a motorcycle up an 6" high vertical wall without the benefit of either run-up or a ramp to assist is routine"

6" ??? Heck I can do that. :o

Think maybe you meant 6'

I am just messin' with ya :wub::wub:

The day after Patrick won in Italy, I emailed the managing editor of RacerX Illustrated suggesting that they might want to consider increasing their coverage of trials, both online, and in print. I gave them some basic background on the Patrick Smage story, and tied it into the other variants of the sport they cover by noting the success (and trials-related background) of Juha Salminen, David Knight, and Roger Decoster. I suggested that they might want to at least include the results in their online "Monday morning wakeup" report. Lo and behold, they did this week! They didn't report on the youth or junior classes, but at least it's a start!

http://www.racerxill.com/articles/detail/2...ke-up-call.aspx

I'll have to zip off an email, thanking them!