Ty250 Twinshock Replacement Front Pipes Question

old trials fanatic

I know i'm becoming a bit of a pain with questions about this TY "project" but if you dont ask etc etc

There seems to be a few people offering the replacement front pipes, i've decided to use the WES middle and end, in chrome. Now i gather they are smaller diameter than the original one. Is this a problem? Does the engine suffer at the top end ? I know the pipe may even help with low down torque but does it allow the engine to breathe properly? I will be converting to 320cc in the near future so am a bit concerned.

What has been the experience of the panel :wub:

who else is doing front pipes for TY250 twinshock apart from Miller?

Might all be from the same manufacturer cos as we know Miller doesnt make anything. Thought i had seen them on J K Hirst site and when i asked John Cane said he did them. Not really bothered about who and where just is the fact that they are smaller diamiter, if indeed they are?, might cause a problem?

I could always get one made but cheaper if i use the one from J K Hirst.

Dont like supporting Miller unless there is no choice. Just a personal thing. Like to support the people who are polite and offer good service. :wub:

So is the smaller bore pipe a problem?

Might all be from the same manufacturer cos as we know Miller doesnt make anything. Thought i had seen them on J K Hirst site and when i asked John Cane said he did them. Not really bothered about who and where just is the fact that they are smaller diamiter, if indeed they are?, might cause a problem?

Dont like supporting Miller unless there is no choice. Just a personal thing. Like to support the people who are polite and offer good service. :wub:

I have a Sammy Miller front pipe linked into a WES two piece mid section/silencer system. Even though I live 5 miles from S/M's shop, I had to buy it from JK Hirst's as Sam didn't have any in stock, but that was OK as I had bought the WES from JKH also. (very good service).

The front pipe that they supplied is an S/M one.

As to the diametre of this pipe, if is is smaller than the original, it aint much and I haven't found that it chocked the bike, on the contrary, having a complete new exhaust has made my bike run bloody lovely.

There is a difference of about 2mm in diametre between the front pipe (40mm O/D) and the WES middle section (42 I/D) and to get over this, I used a piece of 0.8mm thick gasket sheet rolled up in between the two pipes, stuck in with heat resistant silicone sealer and used a good quality strong exhaust clamp that I bought of off Ebay (I could have bought one from one of the stalls at Motorcycle World, but it was too late by then) and clamped the whole lot together, and it's great, I'am well pleased.

One word of warning though, the WES exhaust has no gaurd and does get f*uckin' hot and burns your leg if you aint careful while riding!

One last thing I felt needed to be done to the front pipe was to grind out the most horrible looking miss-match of the tubes that are thankfully accessible because they are at the exhaust port end.

This is where a curved tube is welded into tube straight tube with the flange on it and the bit inside needs to be ground away to encourage a better gas flow.

You can't get it all out completely smooth but I have made it a million times better and having spent the last 27 years in engineering, I couldn't bare to leave it like it was.

Edited by mollygreen

I have a Sammy Miller front pipe linked into a WES two piece mid section/silencer system. Even though I live 5 miles from S/M's shop, I had to buy it from JK Hirst's as Sam didn't have any in stock, but that was OK as I had bought the WES from JKH also. (very good service).

Glad you posted this as ive got a WES Alloy system for my 250 majesty! haven't fitted it yet as i need to get a original front flange as im not cutting up the original exhaust as its to good! yep your right about getting the inner pipe being grinded out! im going to do this too!

The front pipe that they supplied is an S/M one.

As to the diametre of this pipe, if is is smaller than the original, it aint much and I haven't found that it chocked the bike, on the contrary, having a complete new exhaust has made my bike run bloody lovely.

There is a difference of about 2mm in diametre between the front pipe (40mm O/D) and the WES middle section (42 I/D) and to get over this, I used a piece of 0.8mm thick gasket sheet rolled up in between the two pipes, stuck in with heat resistant silicone sealer and used a good quality strong exhaust clamp that I bought of off Ebay (I could have bought one from one of the stalls at Motorcycle World, but it was too late by then) and clamped the whole lot together, and it's great, I'am well pleased.

One word of warning though, the WES exhaust has no gaurd and does get f*uckin' hot and burns your leg if you aint careful while riding!

One last thing I felt needed to be done to the front pipe was to grind out the most horrible looking miss-match of the tubes that are thankfully accessible because they are at the exhaust port end.

This is where a curved tube is welded into tube straight tube with the flange on it and the bit inside needs to be ground away to encourage a better gas flow.

You can't get it all out completely smooth but I have made it a million times better, and having spent the last 27 years in engineering, I couldn't bare to leave it like it was.

Yep, should run no problem, one of our lot has that combination on his 320 Majesty and it runs fine. I had some lugs welded onto my WES middle box to bolt the heat shield on. You can hold it on with a couple of good strong cable ties though. I've also done this without problem, they don't melt.

Does the engine suffer at the top end ?

Trials bikes have top end? I've never use it. :wub:

You obviously dont have that many long climbs or sections where you need to "rev out". We dont have many but when you need it then it needs to be there. I hate an engine that wont rev out properly.

So thanks guys WES system and Miller pipe wherever it comes from it is then. Will just get some mountings welded on. No probs :wub:

I think Craig Mawlem has got some stainless steel ones in stock.

They are really nice and much better finished than the SM ones.

The slightly smaller inner diameter does not really change the engine power at all.