Prosecution/court Due For Off Roading - Any Help?

mstifi

Yes I have got some good advice, don't do it again.

I will be blunt I hope you get all that you deserve!!!

Plenty of notices on MOD land about ''Keeping out'' but no some people think they are above that and think it is alright to ride there off-road bike anywhere they like....................and then they wonder why we all get a bad name and bring off-road sport into dis-repute.

Land to run organised sport is becoming very difficult and people like you are making it even more difficult to arrange the use of some land, so unfortunately you don't get a sympathy vote from me.

Go to court, take the punishment and let the press broadcast it...............it may deter others to follow in your footsteps.

By the way the reason you cannot go on MOD land is for several reasons, the land is used most days in our present cicumstances by Military personel training for operational conflict throughout the world, know doubt you would like to take them to court if you happen to 'T' bone a Challenger Tank.........................................

I await your excuse of a reply :thumbup:

What a load of b*****ks, you lot never rode your bikes on land that you were not sure who owned ? mebe the kid should turn to drugs, or breaking into your houses, he probably would have less chance of getting nicked.

What a load of b*****ks, you lot never rode your bikes on land that you were not sure who owned ? mebe the kid should turn to drugs, or breaking into your houses, he probably would have less chance of getting nicked.

So what do you suggest he does then ?

ishy most of the time you talk sense, but you are way off the mark and I hope it was a ''Tongue in Cheek'' comment:huh:

This is not free riding America .....we are in it is good old blighty, and it has been well publisised over the past year and a half about illigal riding and loss of land.

This guy has been caught and is asking for advice.................your valuable advice will be much appreciated :thumbup:

Mine is tough s**t

Not b*****ks at all - what we used to do we can't do anymore. There were plenty of places local to me where we could practise and no-one bothered us. Now they do so we can't. What we used to do is irrelevant, its today we are talking about and people's attitudes and the law are different from days gone by - unfortunately.

If you're caught on MOD land on your own two feet I'd guess you'd be in trouble for trespassing, never mind on a bike.

As far as advice is concerned about the court appearance, I doubt there is anyone qualified on this forum to give you an answer. I'd suggest you ask a solicitor for an opnion.

I'm not a lawyer either, there was no such law of trespass in Scotland, however, if you deemed to have damaged property or crop in a field while on someone's land that was indeed an offence and chargeable! It may have changed now as there have been quite a number of legal battles to exclude people from travelling over folks property or land.

Still stick to my guns in my original posting, if you were caught on MOD land then you must suffer the penalty.

I agree with Woody, go and get legal advice from a solicitor/lawyer locally.

Big John

I agree

If you were on land and you knew you werent allowed on it - then its fair play - you take the consequences.

However i would say that recently in the Edinburgh Evening News there was a campaign against mini-motos and off road biking in general- and I suprised myself by writing a letter and getting it published. I put across the point that most of these riders are from the more deprived areas of Edinburgh - and instead of slating them we should be doing what we can to support them.

If more off road centres were set up then these youths may be encouraged to take up motosports like Trials or Motocross.

We have all ridden in places we dont have permission - unless you were really privaleged!

I spent a lot of my teenage years avoiding the local police on my beamish - and like to think it kept me away from the drugs and crime - that a lot of my piers got involved in.

I got a mostly hostile response to my letter - no suprises there.

Agree with John about no trespass law in Scotland - although what that means is vague.

Edited by Williamd

It was the lad's first ever post,

He may or may not have known he was riding on land he shouldn't of been, but that we will never know, because he was shot down before he even got chance to speak.

Did he cut the fence at Menwith and ride over the golf balls, was he riding on a peice of land legally and crossed a boundry, we don't know, but hang the ****** anyway.

Edited by Ishy

I have to admit i don't like to pounce on someone without knowing all the details. Not all military land used to be signed that well. Maybe it is now - i dunno. I lived on the back of Salisbury plain for a few years, literally out of my back gate on to it, and we used it for running, walking dogs, orienteering, mountain biking, and even went out on it practicing enduro. I was in the forces but I'm not sure we ever actually asked permission to go on there.

However, not sure there is an awful lot you can do other than take your punishment and stay clear in the future.

Our opinions on this bb are irrelevant in the real world to some extent. Here in the USA land use issues are becoming more and more difficult, although nowhere near the tangled mess they appear to be in England. Alot of it boils down to greed and wealth. Land owners are terrified of litigation, so much so that many of them have a pat statement when asked for use of the land for trials riding. They don't giv a hang what trials is or any of the good reasons why it is a wonderful pastime, keeping kids out of trouble etc is of no concern to them. As a youth I learned early that in most cases asking permission will get you an unceremonious NO!

Surely there must be some sort of legal riding area you could go to. Trespassing on government land is a serious offense, yet I'll wager most of us have done it. I offer my sympathy to this lad, and advise him to appear for court on time, well groomed and with sincere repentance. The one thing judges hate is the unrepentant smart a$$ who "hasn't learned his lesson". Ask Paris Hilton about showing up late for a court date! For God's sake if you have any visible piercings take them out, and cover up any tattoos! Get a short haircut, wear a nice shirt, tie and dress pant if you have to borrow them, and apologize sincerely. Maybe if the judge determines you're of some value to society, he or she will have mercy. Getting proper council is also not a bad idea. Good luck and let us know how you get on, and for all our sakes don't do it again.