Oil Fuel Mixture Txt 280

grahamcota

I've not long bought a spanky new, out the crate, 06 280 and it came with a owners handbook ! First time I've ever had one with a trials bike. GG recommend a 50-1 mix using synthetic for the 06, which came as a relief because that's what I'd been using in my old 280 (02 model) which is almost identical in spec. I've seen some sites recommending anything form 50-1 up to 100-1 ! Personally I'd prefer too much to not enough. No doubt everyone has their own opinion but the GG handbook says 50-1 so thats what I'll stick with.

I've always used mineral oil in all my other bikes and never had any issues but I reckon my new baby deserves the luxury of synthetic. Again, each to their own I suppose ?

Hope this helps ?

Gj :rolleyes:

I've not long bought a spanky new, out the crate, 06 280 and it came with a owners handbook ! First time I've ever had one with a trials bike. GG recommend a 50-1 mix using synthetic for the 06, which came as a relief because that's what I'd been using in my old 280 (02 model) which is almost identical in spec. I've seen some sites recommending anything form 50-1 up to 100-1 ! Personally I'd prefer too much to not enough. No doubt everyone has their own opinion but the GG handbook says 50-1 so thats what I'll stick with.

I've always used mineral oil in all my other bikes and never had any issues but I reckon my new baby deserves the luxury of synthetic. Again, each to their own I suppose ?

Hope this helps ?

I agree that too much is better than not enough, however there's a massive difference between 75:1 and 100:1 (Never mind 50:1)!!!! Surely we can give better advice than that... can't we????

Hope this helps ?

I agree that too much is better than not enough, however there's a massive difference between 75:1 and 100:1 (Never mind 50:1)!!!! Surely we can give better advice than that... can't we????

I was only remarking on what I've seen 'advised' elsewhere. As I've stated above I'm following the written documentation of the GG handbook and using 50-1. Whats your advice Scorpa3 ?????????

Hope this helps ?

I was only remarking on what I've seen 'advised' elsewhere. As I've stated above I'm following the written documentation of the GG handbook and using 50-1. Whats your advice Scorpa3 ?????????

Sorry, I didn't mean to criticise, I've always used 80mls of fully synthetic to every five litres of fuel, however this appears to be way too lean according to the manual.

100mls of oil in 5 litres of oil is 50:1

90mls of oil in 5 litres of oil is 55.5:1

80mls of oil in 5 litres of oil is 62:1

75mls of oil in 5 litres of oil is 66.6:1

70mls of oil in 5 litres of oil is 71.4:1

60mls of oil in 5 litres of oil is 83:1

50mls of oil in 5 litres of oil is 100:1

HI All.

CAn anyone tell me the fuel/oil mixture in a 2001 280 txt.Also are there any owners manuals out there?

Many Thanks

Grahamcota

Hi,

I have a 2001 TXT280 and I have always used a ratio of 80:1. The motor runs fantastic and has never been apart. I run 650cc of ATF Dexron 3 in the tranny.

No offence taken Scorpa3, I love topics like this as we're all very opinionated ! LOL

Many peeps will think 50-1 is a bit rich so maybe I can justify my mix with a few personal reasons;

I'd rather replace a plug and do a de-coke than replace big end, small end, main bearings, rings etc...

I do a lot of top gear road work between my fav practice places...

I wont seize my chainsaw when I use the wrong can ! (yeh, its 40-1 but thats another debate)

100ml of oil is easier to judge when doing an emergency mix away from home.....

These are MY reasons and not whats written in any book. I dare say I'd use a 100-1 mix to get me home, some lubrication is better than none but in the meantime I'll do what I've always done !

Back to the original question; There's now more than enough data for you to mix your petrol with, as for the manual ? I'm sure someone somewhere has sold their gasser and still has the manual propping up the workbench somewhere? Haven't seen any anywhere, perhaps someone knows of a download somewhere?

Enough of my ranting, I'm off to Poland on the bike for a wee spin. Catch y'all for another exciting forum soon.......

GJ :rolleyes:

I always used around 80:1 (It's actually around 62ml per 5L of fuel).

My old man always used to say better too much than too little, but I was told some time ago that this was a bit of a wives tale, and that too much oil could actually make the bike run too hot and have just as bad effect as too little.

I would like to hear a definitive answer - not sure whether there is one out there. I know I saw 50:1 in the book years ago, but I don't know of anyone that actaully runs on that.

I'll stick with between 75:1 and 80:1

To YOu All

Many thanks for all of your comments.I didnt realise it was such a hot bed for a talking point.

Once again thanks

grahamcota

I have a manual. I'll take a look tonight when I get home from riding.