Beta Shifting Problem

mxmann

I have problems with the gear shifter.

I have a Rev 3 250, 2001.

I can't shift gears only one at a time. So when I'm in 5th gear, and I reduce my speed significant, then I can't just shift twice down, and continue in 3th gear. It will remain in 4th, and I need to use the 4th gear for a couple of seconds until I can downshift another one and finally reach 3th gear.

Shifting up shows the same problem.

In a crash I hit the gear shifter, but I'm not sure that this is the cause of the problem.

What should I do? What parts should I inspect/replace?

Edited by mxmann

What gearbox oil are you using and what is your clutch like! I would try changing gear oil first i use pj1 clutch tuner if this does sort problem i would then check your clutch plates as my brother add the same problem and it turned out to be one of is plates split!

Thanks betarick for the answer. :D The clutch is in perfect condition. I've tried several types of gearbox oil, but this not solved the problem. :D

I've read that exists a rivet in the selector mechanism, which is a built-in safety feature designed to save expensive transmission parts in the event of a hard object bashing the shift lever.

Where is this rivet? How can I inspect it, so I can see if it's sheared or not?

Or does anybody have any idea about what could cause this shifting problem? Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

This is just a thought..... But on my Scorpa Easy I had a shifting problem that turned out to be the shift pawl assembley spring was slightly bent. this is from memory (mine is very poor and was a fair while ago now) on the Rotax engine a drum like assembly with a fork that turned it selecting the correct selector fork and gear. I had a slightly bent spring not allowing the pawl to centralise. On that bike it was just a case of removing the clutch casing putting the shifter back on and inspecting the movement when shifting between gears. IF it is anything like this it will be very apparent when you have the cover off and try shifting between gears.

I hope you can make some kind of sense of that as like I said it was a while ago and I am having trouble trying to explain it :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

I still have this problem. :blink:

I have a better explanation:

So, when I shift it's like somthing is blocking the lever at halfway of it's movement. And I need to keep pushing (or pulling when shifting upwards), so the lever passes throught this "block" and finally shift. And this "block" it's much stronger when I try to shift twice. When I try to shift at the second time then the lever still blocks halfway, and I still keep pushing it, but at this time the lever will not pass trought this "block". And that's why I can shift only one at a time. Because if I don't wait a bit, and I don't use the actual gear for a few seconds, then this "block" is stopping me to shift again.

I would definitely say that the crash caused the problem. The shift lever was bashed pretty hard.

I've read that exists a rivet in the selector mechanism, which is a built-in safety feature designed to save expensive transmission parts in the event of a hard object bashing the shift lever.

Does anybody know where is this rivet? I don't even have an idea about that is on the left side or the right side... So any idea is welcome.

The selector mechanism is on the clutch side you will after remove the whole cover and have a look at the gear lever shaft & mechanism! All the mechanism does is turn the selector drum and select gear! Have a good look there must be something a miss in there! if you get stuck gives us a shout!

• 2 weeks later...

On the clutch side I've removed the whole cover, and I've inspected the selector mechanism, and it's fine. The problem is that the drum doesn't want to rotate. When the drum is rotating, than at half way it stops .

What to I do next?

Edited by mxmann

• 3 weeks later...

Hi mxmann,

From what you have said, it's pretty likely that you have bent one or more gear selector forks, you'll have to split the cases. Use a new crankcase gasket when re-assembling.

I haven't worked on a Beta so can only generalise from work on other motors. Usually, you can remove the selector forks and, after marking them so you know which is which, hold them together back to back and have a look to determine if the actual forks are parallel to each other. They should be parallel.

Hopefully, if they are bent then you can buy new ones from stock.

As a second thought, you may have just bent the gear change shaft, it's possible that the shaft may be able to be pulled out of the casings before the cases are split. Have a look at this first. I did know of one being bent on a 1995 Gasser many years ago.

Bye, PeterB.

Split cases and have a look at selector forks and selector drum! My old techno i rebuilt the engine on i notiticed that the selector drum was worn where selector forks sit in it and this could cause gear changes to be difficult! or selector drum bearings collapsed! or forks worn or bent or gears worn!where do you want me to stop! hope this aint put you of mxmann,

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

My shift drum has about 0.5 mm play at the end. Of course, with the cases together. Also, I can move it about 1 mm out and in. After I removed the detent spring it was obvious that it has a play. What do you think? Is this normal? Or my drum bearings are gone?